A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, October 9, 2017

Archi's Archives No.2: 1992 Pinnacle

Look at that!  Two posts in less than 24 hours!  I'm back!

Of course, as I mentioned in my previous post, I have just 86 Archi Cianfrocco cards, so these won't hold me over forever, but they can get me rolling again.  Speaking of getting back in the swing of things, I've noticed that a lot of blogs that I followed during the peak of my activity are now defunct, and I imagine that there are some new ones that I'm not aware of, so let me know in the comments what I should be reading.

Anyways, onto today's card.  I didn't plan on starting off with two cards from the same year, but I scanned this one yesterday at the same time as the '92 Donruss, which was on the same binder page as this one.  I'm using a new laptop than before, and haven't figured out how to align the cards so they're straight, so they'll be just a little bit crooked until I can work that out.

I've said it before (and I guess since I'm writing about Archi, I'll be saying lots of things that I've already said), but '92 Pinnacle is an all-time favorite set for me.  1992-93 was my peak collecting era as a kid, and I loved the black borders and the way the players seemed to jump out of the card.  I dig how the last name is in bold, and when looking at a stack of these, it's cool to see how the colors on the nameplate change according to the team.  If I had to guess I'd say this is a Spring Training picture, judging by the white walls behind him, and most of his cards from '92 with a blue top and white pants don't appear to be taken from a major league stadium.  Archi's listed as an infielder here, as well as a "Rookie Prospect".  Other "Rookie Prospects" from the '92 Pinnacle set include Jim Thome, Moises Alou, Jeff Kent, Cliff Floyd, and Manny Ramirez, among others.

Regardless of team, all the '92 Pinnacle cards had a green nameplate that showed the name and number on the back.  At the bottom of the card, Score had a barcode that spells out the name "Pinnacle" if viewed through a plastic Lenticular card - they were worried about counterfeit cards!  Crazy.  If there was a downside to the cardbacks, it's the lack of space for stats.  I mean, I don't need to see every year's worth of stats, but just one year isn't a lot.  Still, I love the bonus portrait on the back, and love the blurbs even more.  If you have any of these cards, I'd recommend going back and reading them - often times they're full of backhanded compliments or straight up criticisms of the players.  This one is pretty fair to Archi, and even goes as far as to mention his performance in the Mexican winter league.  I'm actually a big Liga Mexicana del Pacífico fan (arriba Mexicali!), and their season starts tomorrow, which I am very exited about.  I'll have to hit up Archi on Twitter and ask him what team he played for, as there is no record of his time south of the border on Baseball Reference.

If you haven't seen it yet, here's a cool commercial for '92 Pinnacle featuring Kirby Puckett, Rickey Henderson, and Brian Harper.  I didn't see this as a kid, as we didn't have cable (didn't then, and don't now, thanks to Netflix, Hulu, and three different baseball-related streaming services), but I still don't think I could've loved this set any more as an eight year old.


And as a bonus, here's a hype video of my favorite LMP (Mexican Winter League) team, Àguilas de Mexicali.  They won the title last year and represented Mexico in the Caribbean Series, though they lost in the one game finale.  If you're a baseball junkie like me, you're probably content to devour the MLB playoffs right now, but LMP and the Caribbean Series will provide your baseball fix almost all the way up until Spring Training.  Subscriptions can be purchased at LMP.tv for less than $30 USD.  Arriba béisbol!


1 comment:

  1. I always thought the backs (at least of the '92 and '93 sets) were much more attractive than the fronts. The colors on the back of the Archi really pop with that black background!

    ReplyDelete