A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Recent eBay Pickups

My summer school paycheck came at the beginning of August, basically doubling my monthly income.  While there are plenty of things that the money went to (we have three kids and our 70+ year old house always seems to need some kind of work), I felt like it was a good time to splurge on a few pieces of relatively cheap cardboard.

I'll frontload this post with my favorite card first:

I have a page full of vintage Jerry Coleman's, and this isn't the oldest one, but it's from the most famous set, 1952 Topps.  It's not like these are hard cards to track down, but I've been holding out for a long time on finding one under five bucks.  I'm no stickler for condition, but even so, the best I could do was six dollars and change.  It's got great corners and looks pretty good on the back too, the only issue is the obvious top left corner.  With this one crossed off the list, the only vintage Coleman's left to track down are pretty pricey: '49 Bowman and '50 Drake, plus a few oddballs I'm sure I'm not even aware of yet.  All in due time.

ToppsNow cards are pretty awesome.  And pricey.  With the Padres being one of the worst teams in the league, I figured it might not be too hard (or expensive) to collect all of the Padres.  I was wrong.  I've since abandoned this fools errand, but not before picking up this one.  As a Tony Gwynn fan who remembers the glory of the '92 All Star Game (well, as much as you remember things that happened when you were eight years old), this was too tempting to pass up.

I mentioned this one in my last post, but I'll give it a little more love again.  Franchy Cordero is a Padres prospect who just got called up to Triple-A El Paso.  Before his promotion, I got the chance to interview him and a few of his teammates on the San Antonio Missions.  He was a super nice guy (they all were), and he is one of the few guys in the upper levels of San Diego's farm system who can swing a bat.  He's got two autograph cards on the market, but this one was a few buck cheaper than a Bowman card, plus it's hand numbered to 50.  I know some collectors have problems with cards with no logos, but most Bowman cards are photoshopped anyways, so I welcome these into my collection.

The Padres are pretty void of exciting talent at the major league level.  Wil Myers was really exciting in the first half of the season, but has struggled since the All-Star break (and participating in the Home Run Derby).  My boy Yangervis Solarte has had a career season as well, but has also struggled as of late.  And Melvin Upton Jr. and Drew Pomeranz were dealt at the peak of their value.  That leaves Travis Jankowski the most exciting player wearing a Padres uniform (who's ahead or at least tied with journeyman minor leaguer Ryan Schimpf).  Jankowski also has a few autos out on the market, but I liked this one the best.  I wrote a piece about him for RO Baseball, and digging a little deeper into his season made me like him even more. 

Anyways, there's a few new(er) cards that I've added to my collection.  I also picked up a new Padres bobblehead for my classroom and a 7" record that I didn't even know existed from one of my favorite bands (!).  It's been a fun little mini spending spree, but has probably come to an end, at least for a while.

7 comments:

  1. Hard to beat the star power on that Griffey/Gwynn card. What a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I literally pulled the Jankowski auto yesterday and planned on sending it your way...a day late, a dollar short. Story of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please tell me I can send you all of my Hector Olivera cards!! BTW, I love that Topps Now card. I've bought just about every Braves card so far. Going into the season I figured they wouldn't get many cards, but I've been surprised. Dansby Swanson scored his first HR tonight, a in the park HR so I expect him to have another card tomorrow morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some nice cards, Marcus, I just picked up a Jankowski auto myslef. I love seeing him hit and then time the pitches enroute to a stolen base. We may not have much to root for with the Padres, but some of their younger taent is sure fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some nice cards, Marcus, I just picked up a Jankowski auto myslef. I love seeing him hit and then time the pitches enroute to a stolen base. We may not have much to root for with the Padres, but some of their younger taent is sure fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi'
    nice post,keep sharing!

    some of the best mens shoes available here
    party footwear

    ReplyDelete