A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, June 27, 2016

The Ambassador


Have you voted for the All-Star Game yet?  If you're a Cubs fan, the answer is probably yes, and probably as many times as possible.  

With the Padres hosting the All-Star Game coming to San Diego, they've chosen a few "Ambassadors" to represent or bring attention to the different events during the break.  Earlier this year, they announced that former Padres Trevor Hoffman and Dave Winfield would be All-Star Game Ambassadors.  This made sense, since they are two of the greatest living Padres (RIP Tony Gwynn).  However, a few weeks ago, it was announced that Wil Myers would also be an All-Star ambassador.

It feels (at least to me) that this is a desperate attempt to make Wil Myers an All-Star.  It'd be weird to have an All-Star ambassador that wasn't actually… um, an All-Star

There's a lot of competition for National League first basemen.  Myers is top 5 in almost all stat categories, but there's basically three guys that have a slight offensive edge on him: Paul Goldschmidt and Anthony Rizzo (no big surprises there), and Brandon Belt, who's made big strides.  His first five seasons were solid but not great (slashing .271/.347/.456), he's been on a tear in the first half (.304/.408/.532).

Anyways, I'm droning on and on here, but I'll say this: Wil Myers is awesome, he leads first basemen in WAR (well, tied at 2.9 with Goldschmidt), and it's weird having my favorite player be someone who's actually really good (no offense to Chris Denorfia or Yangervis Solarte).

Anyways, here's a bunch of Wil Myers cards.

Wil's an exciting player to watch, but these are two very unexciting photos here.  That's Heritage for you, I guess.

Hey!  There's a smile!  Man, I was a big fan of Stadium Club last year, but the checklist for this year's set was released, and Wil's name wasn't on it.  He had a rough first year as a Padre, mostly due to injury, so it seems like he wasn't found worthy of a card.  That's a bummer.

Back to close-lipped, no smiling Wil.  I really like the blue parallels from Topps Opening Day, but I'll admit that the colored parallels from this year's Topps cards are pretty… interesting.

Here's a side by side of Wil cards with last year's flagship design.  The base card on the left looks like a pretty bad photoshop (though I've been wrong before), but I really like the Topps Chrome card.  It's a spring training photo, as evidenced by the sand coloring on the jersey.  Seriously, I thought they got rid of the sand coloring on the regular season jerseys a few years ago, but for whatever reason, they keep putting it on the spring training jerseys.  Ugh.

Aside from the Stadium Club cards, these are probably my two favorites.  It's another spring training shot on the Archives card on the left.  Like Stadium Club, Wil was left off the Archives checklist this year.  The Bowman Chrome looks very sharp, definitely a keeper.

I'm not really much of a relic card guy, but I have two Myers relics.  I'm a little mixed on this one, since it's obvious that the Myers side of the relic is from his time in Tampa Bay.  I'd assume that the Justin Upton swatch is probably from Atlanta as well.  Still, a pretty cool concept, I dig it.

Why so serious, Wil?  I was surprised how cheap this was, though Myers autos are still a bit out of my price range.  Especially lame, considering he has one of the laziest signatures I've ever seen.

Anyways, yeah, there's a lot of Wil Myers cards.  I considered chasing a few of his Tampa Bay cards, but I dunno, I guess I just prefer the "SD" on the hat than the "TB".  Although if it's a Panini card that doesn't have logos on it, it's a little more palatable.

Oh, I forgot why I named this post "The Ambassador".  I'm not sure when this happened, but Padres Twitter has given Wil the nickname of "White Queso" after an interview with some jerky San Diego radio guys where he said that he liked the Mexican food in North Carolina better than in San Diego, because they don't have white queso in California.  While the idea that Charlotte has better Mexican food than San Diego sounds pretty laughable, I like that he stuck up for his hometown cuisine.

After being named an All-Star Game ambassador, a few fans suggested that he be dubbed "The Ambassador".  While I'm not great at bestowing nicknames, I feel like this sounds better than "White Queso", though the origin story is less interesting.

Well, whatever he's called, I really like watching Wil Myers play baseball.  And I like his cards.  

The end.

9 comments:

  1. I may be the only Cubs fan in the country who hasn't voted for the All Star Game - though, it would be nice to see Will at least get a cameo on the bench instead of the whole Ambassador thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony, Tony, Tony... It's Wil, with one L. Willson Contreras has two L's, not Wil Myers.
      Why are things so complicated these days?
      I hope Myers makes the NL squad. I wanted to vote for him, but Rizzo is my guy.

      Delete
  2. Nice to see him living up to his potential!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Margaret Jones I am from Georgia USA , I am retired ,January this year I was bankrupted, I had no money to pay , until I found some testimonies online on how Dr Osun helped people win lottery , I contacted him with frustration , Dr Osun gave me winning numbers for two , I played alongside my husband behold we won ($ 77,744,832 ) SEVENTY SEVEN MILLION SEVEN HUNDRED AND FORTY FOUR THOUSAND EIGHT HUNDRED AND THIRTY TWO MILLION DOLLARS , I still cant believe that I and my husband are now milliners with the help of Dr OSUN . Thank to you Dr OSUN you are a lottery god . Play lottery with no stress contact Dr Osun on faithfullovespell@yahoo.com , better still call him +2347035519489. His web sites: http://faithfullovespell5.wix.com/lottery and http://faithfullovespell.wix.com/dr-osun

      Delete
  3. Wil Meyers will forever be known and referred to by me as White Queso. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like the Padres are afraid (or know) Myers won't be earning a spot. So, they want to make sure fans know he'll be at the game in some capacity either way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alex Gordon was the Royals player ambassador back in 2012 when the All Star Game was in KC. Billy Butler was the only Royals player actually chosen for the game. As a former Royals player, I hope Wil does get selected for the All Star Game!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is Margaret Jones I am from Georgia USA , I am retired ,January this year I was bankrupted, I had no money to pay , until I found some testimonies online on how Dr Osun helped people win lottery , I contacted him with frustration , Dr Osun gave me winning numbers for two , I played alongside my husband behold we won ($ 77,744,832 ) SEVENTY SEVEN MILLION SEVEN HUNDRED AND FORTY FOUR THOUSAND EIGHT HUNDRED AND THIRTY TWO MILLION DOLLARS , I still cant believe that I and my husband are now milliners with the help of Dr OSUN . Thank to you Dr OSUN you are a lottery god . Play lottery with no stress contact Dr Osun on faithfullovespell@yahoo.com , better still call him +2347035519489. His web sites: http://faithfullovespell5.wix.com/lottery and http://faithfullovespell.wix.com/dr-osun

    ReplyDelete