A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Come and Take It!

No, the title of this post isn't a reference to the Alamo, I am giving away some cards!  All you gotta do is follow some simple directions, and they're yours.

The mailbox at our new house has been a lot slower than our rental was, and I think the main reason is because I've been slow to send stuff out myself.  One reason is because I haven't been blogging/reading  as much as I used to.  Another is that I just don't have very much to trade.  I sent off a bunch of stuff to Gavin over at Baseball Card Breakdown before we moved, just to clear it out to keep it from getting damaged, so my trade box is very small right now.

So, I figured what better way to clear it out than to just give it away?  The only guidelines are 1) that if you claim more than can fit in a PWE, or claim a bunch of the nicer ones, that you make at least a little attempt to send something back my way, and 2) I need you to answer the question at the bottom of this post.  But really, the purpose is to say thanks for reading my blog even though I don't post much, and to get some positive collecting karma.

Anyways, here's what I've got:

A bunch of 2014 Bowman hometown cards, all from the great state of Texas:
5 - Jay Bruce (Reds)
8 - Joe Nathan (Tigers)
18 - Austin Jackson (Tigers)
74 - David Freese (Angels)
81 - Jarred Cosart (Astros)
82 - Hunter Pence (Giants)
96 - Anthony Rendon (Nationals)
133 - Homer Bailey (Reds)
140 - Chris Davis (Orioles)
BP5 - Mark Appel (Astros)
BP21 - Billy McKinney (A's)
BP40 - Logan Vick (Indians)
BP89 - Michael Ratterree (Brewers)
BP100 - Brian Ragira (Giants)
206 - Jonathan Lucroy (Brewers, but has the Florida flag)

2015 Topps rainbow foil - 516 - Lorenzo Cain

2015 Topps gold foil (#1162/2015) - J.J. Hardy

1993 Sport Card Magazine cards of Mark McGwire and Marquis Grissom

2013 Archives Day Glo - Jayson Werth
2015 Panini Donruss Preferred Grand Stand - George Springer

2015 Heritage Jered Weaver (#914/999)
2013 Topps Chrome Ben Zobrist (41/75)

2015 Panini


2014 Donruss Jed Lowrie #91/234
2015 Gypsy Queen "Glove Stories" Freddy Galvis

Two pitchers with girls names, Madison Bumgarner (2013 Panini Prizm blue border), and 2016 Topps "First Pitch" Hayley Atwell.

2016 Topps Opening Day Carlos Gomez (blue border)

2016 Gypsy Queen blue bordered Anthony Rendon and Kris Bryant

1968 Topps Harmon Killebrew

1975 Topps Bert Blyleven
2016 Heritage #423 (high number) "Fence Busters"

2013 Topps blue bordered Mike Trout and Jose Fernandez.  I'm not a huge baseball scout or anything, but I think these guys could be good really soon.  You heard it here first.

2016 Gypsy Queen "MVP mini" - Carl Yastrzemski (Red Sox)
1951 Bowman - Whitey Lockman #37 (New York Giants)  He was on base during Bobby Thomson's "Shot heard round the world"!  That, along with this card, is pretty cool.

Opening Day inserts that look a lot better than the inserts in the flagship set.  The artist formerly known as Mike Stanton, and dude that went to my rival high school, Cole Hamels.

2016 Bowman autograph Josh Staumont
2016 Bowman yellow border Yoan Moncada

 2016 Bowman yellow border - Trey Mancini, Scott Blewett, and Kevin Newman.  Bowman knows that collectors love the '91 Fleer set, so I appreciate the yellow borders.

2016 Heritage "Flashbacks News"

I'm getting tired of labeling these.  You have eyes, you can tell what these are, right?

Man, I really like Donruss, but I have a hard time telling it apart from last year's.  I think I still like it better this year, though.

Last but not least, a bunch of 2016 Archives:
Durham Bulls Insert - Bobby
Blue Border (#13/199) - Joey Votto
Father * Son - Ken & Ken Griffey
Father * Son - Tony & Eduardo Perez
11 - Matt Reynolds (Mets)
26 - Rafael Palmiero (Orioles)
28 - Miguel Almonte (Royals)
35 - Jim Rice (Red Sox)
40 - Jacoby Ellsbury (Yankees)
61 - Koletn Wong (Cardinals)
63 - Nelson Cruz (Mariners)
79 - John Olerud (Mariners)
87 - Noah Syndergaard (Mets)
88 - A.J. Pollock (Diamondbacks)
94 - Darin Ruf (Phillies)
113 - Frankie Montas (Dodgers)
114 - Jose Reyes (Rockies)
122 - Carlton Fisk (White Sox)
135 - Ryan Howard (Phillies)
136 - Troy Tulowitzki (Blue Jays)
145 - Felix Hernandez (Mariners)
152 - Ian Kinsler (Tigers)
153 - Honus Wagner (Pirates)
162 - Gary Sanchez (Yankees)
175 - Andrelton Simmons (Angels)
208 - Matt Harvey (Mets)
211 - Kevin Kiermaier (Rays)
226 - Ryan Braun (Brewers)
255 - Brandon Phillips (Reds)
256 - Chipper Jones (Braves)
267 - Carlos Gonzalez (Rockies)
275 - Corey Seager (Dodgers)
277 - Ichiro (Marlins)
288 - Nomar Garciaparra (Red Sox)
264 - Andrew McCutchen (Pirates)

Whew!  If you thought reading that took a long time, try typing it all out.  Probably wasn't necessary.

Anyways, so yeah, that's what's up for grabs.

Now, here's the question:

If you were going to meet your favorite baseball player and could ask him just one question, what would it be?

I ask because I'm going to the All-Star FanFest in San Diego before the All-Star Game, and Archi Cianfrocco is one of the former Padres players who will be signing autographs and doing a question and answer session on the day I go.  While Trevor Hoffman, Randy Jones, and Steve Garvey will be there, I am SO excited to get to meet Archi!  The only non-Padre "legend" there on the Friday that I go will be Orlando Cepeda.  I don't know much about him, but I know he's in the Hall of Fame and had a cool nickname, so anything else you wanna tell me about "Baby Bull", let me know in the comments as well.

Thanks again!  Have a great Thursday!

15 comments:

  1. I would probably just end up being like those old sketches from SNL in which Chris Farley stumbled over questions with famous people.
    http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/the-chris-farley-show-mccartney/2868143

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably would be what's the coolest non-sport person he's met so far. I think seeing some of the interviews on MLB the guys are pretty cool to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, am totally like that guy Farley portays... so bad in fact I needed my sister around all the time to break the ice when we were at the recent Cubs Convention.

    I love hearing players' anecdotal stories of their downtime with their teammates, especially if they are a prankster. I would probably my favorite player, Dab Vogelbach, what's the best prank of a teammate he's ever been a part of. It's not something they're asked all the time and definitely brings a smile to their face.

    I hope not to sound too greedy, but I could I put claim to the Ben Zobrist (/75), the Josh Donaldson DK, and the blue framed GQ Kris Bryant. The Donaldson will be perfect for another trade package I'm working on for Jaybarkerfan. I will DEFINITELY send some cards back. Friars are still okay?

    P.S. - I need your new addy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marcus,

    If I got to meet Shane Mack, the one question would be, "Could you please sign all (X number of) cards for me?" :-). While he was signing all the cards, I would pester him with the real follow on questions ;-)

    If they are unclaimed, could I get these 3?:

    JJ Hardy 16 Topps Gold
    Mike Trout '13 Topps Blue Border
    2016 Bowman yellow border Yoan Moncada

    Thanks much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the garv will be there, huh... i'll have to check my calendar and see if i can ask him in person either about being erroneously named one of the co-mvp's of the 1981 world series (how did they inform him that they meant to say steve yeager instead?) or whether he thinks of a time where he feels he got a hit but the official scorer called it an error, thus costing him finishing his career on a nice round number of 2600 hits rather than 2599.

    i'd be interested in the archives seager...

    and, finally, did you receive some cards from me recently? just making sure they got there...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd like an Angels leftovers.

    I'd ask Nolan Ryan if he ever mentally prepared for the day someone might rush him, like Robin Ventura.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving on all of the Panini Donruss cards, especially the ATDKs. My question would be "how hard is it to stay humble?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not seeing too much being claimed, so throw in the 1951 bowman, the blue bordered trout, the auto, the archives, and all the braves. LOL... Just throw the rest unclaimed too. lol. send me the new address. thanks for the giveaway. Enjoy the fanfest!

      Delete
  8. WTH, did Miller just claim everything? :)

    I will take any '79 Archives that aren't unclaimed.

    Of course, I'd want to talk to The Penguin, Ron Cey, and I'd ask him how long he cried when he found out he was traded to the Cubs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That "are" unclaimed.

      Sheesh, typing in the morning.

      Delete
  9. 2016 Bowman autograph Josh Staumont
    2016 Archives--Bobby
    2016 # 136 Troy Tulowitzki
    2016 First Pitch--Hayley Attwell

    Dave Steib and whether he thought he would ever pitch a no-hitter

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would ask Carlton Fisk if he had stayed with the Red Sox, would they have won the '86 World Series.

    I would like to claim Fisk and Syndergaard Archives.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to change things up a bit by asking Carlos Quintana (early 90's Red Sox player, but not my favorite player) what really happened the night he broke his leg in Venezuela taking his brothers to the hospital.

    I would like the Roger Clemens Masters of the Game card.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would have to ask George Brett about the Pine Tar event...

    Interested in the '68 killebrew and '75 blyleven, also 2016 donruss griffey and sano,
    and 2016 Bowman autograph Josh Staumont Royals

    Also include your new address so I can return a PWE......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. also interested in 2016 Gypsy Queen "MVP mini" - Carl Yastrzemski (Red Sox)
      1951 Bowman - Whitey Lockman #37 (New York Giants)

      Thanks

      Delete