A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Topps… Now.

Being away from the card blogosphere for a bit, most of the "hobby news" I've been getting has been through Twitter.  This is actually where I get the overwhelming majority of my news, since we cut the cord a few years ago and I really don't do much online that's not baseball or job-related.

Anyways, when I saw Topps tweeting about #ToppsNOW, I was intrigued, but didn't think much of it.  I think at first I thought it was for the Topps Bunt app, which doesn't really interest me.  However, once I saw that they were physical cards from a recent game, I was intrigued.  While I'm not too high on the design, it's serviceable, and the idea of cards from specific games has always been cool to me.

Well, I figured the Padres wouldn't get on too many of these, so when I saw that Melvin Upton Jr. (of all people) was the first from the Padres to get his own card, I decided to pull the trigger.  I wasn't a fan of Melvin's when he first came to the Padres in a trade with the Braves last year.  But he's been doing pretty well for San Diego this year (well, at least compared to the rest of the team), and this card proved to be too good to pass up.

I was barely conscious for this walk off home run, but I remember that I was barely awake.  Darn west coast games in the central time zone.  Oh well, it was a pretty good moment, as good as any the Padres have had this year, at least, which started off historically bad, not scoring in any of the first 30 innings of the season. I'm not sure how I'll remember who the other guys in the background of the card are, but I'll record it here for posterity: R-L Jon Jay, Ryan Buchter (jacket), and Adam Rosales (no hat).  Not sure about the other two.

Here's the back.  Pretty uninteresting, lot of unused space and a hard to read font.  It does mention the Padres 4-8 record (at the time), so I'm glad I'll always remember that bugged of info.  These cards seem glossier than normal Topps flagship cards, and just a tad flimsier (though not 70's food odd ball set flimsy.  

At $10 per card, it is definitely higher than I'm used to paying for a single card, especially of a Melvin Upton card.  It's not serial numbered, but the print run on these is usually pretty limited, though it seems to vary from card to card.  The shipping was free, though I'm not sure if it's always going to be free.  The turnaround wasn't as quick as I'd like it (ordered it April 17th, got it May 2nd), but wasn't something that would keep me from ordering again.

If I understand correctly, these are sold the day after (or around there) and are available for a small window of time, usually about a day.  I hemmed and hawed on this one, but having a clock ticking definitely motivated me to err on the side of buyers remorse than empty handed sadness.

I don't imagine the Padres will be featured on too many of these cards, which I guess in a way is a blessing, money wise.  Still, I'm hoping the Padres get some love from Topps and are able to make their season interesting or noteworthy in some way.  

7 comments:

  1. i've bought all 3 dodger cards so far - the first two from topps and the third from ebay. the ebay purchase saved me $3, but it is a gamble due to the uncertainty of print runs. i'll probably grab the kershaw that is up right now from topps later this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've picked up all 5 Cubs cards so far between Topps and eBay but have yet to get any in hand. First ones should come today or tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Addison Russell and Lackey came in last week for me, Jake and KB came in yesterday, so you should see yours soon. They use FedEx SmartPost, which is slower than molasses in Antarctica. What was the 5th one?

      Delete
  3. I've bought the Mets and a couple of the hot rookies (bought the rookies before they'd done any Mets). I'm starting to think this could get expensive for me since the Mets should be in contention all year. But you gotta figure it'd be pretty cool to have all of your team if they go on to win the Series. Great way to remember all of the stepping stones along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was checking out the print runs a few days ago, and saw that this Upton has the distinction of lowest number of cards made (232, I wanna say?), at least at that time. On one hand, it could be thought of as the least desirable, but on the other hand, it's also the rarest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really want to buy the Mets, but the price tag is a little scary. If I get 'em at all, I'm thinking it might be cheaper to get 'em through secondary market. Anyhow, it's a neat gimmick from Topps, albeit at a not-so-neat price.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't see myself plopping down the cash for one of these Topps Now cards, but I have to admit, it's kind of a genius idea on Topps's part.

    ReplyDelete