A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

This One Collecting Tip Could Save You $100s


If you're like me (and if you're not, you should be), you didn't get into card collecting to make a fortune, or even a living.  It's something you do as a… uh, what's the word?  Oh yes, hobby.  A fun diversion that make you smile at the end of the day.

Still, it's not like I hate money.  On the contrary, I actually go to great lengths to earn it, spending most of my day corralling 7 year olds and trying to teach them to be decent human beings.  I mean, sure, I guess I also get some amount of personal satisfaction from the whole "touching lives" part of it, but when it comes down to it, I don't do it for free.

And, while supporting a family of five on a teacher's income isn't always the most luxurious (although the fact we bought our first home for under $77,000 does keep some of the expenses low), if I play my cards right, I can usually buy a rack pack or two of cards and pick up a few cheap single cards on eBay.

But really, what's the secret collecting tip that could save you a good chunk of change?

The tip is to not send cards that have sold for three figures to a trading partner!  The above Buster Posey card was sent to my buddy Mark Kaz over at This Way To The Clubhouse.  I thought he might enjoy this nice looking horizontal shot of some stupid Giants player, but it turns out that this card has been sold on eBay for as low as $70 but also has broke the $100 mark on more than one occasion.

Mark, being the incredibly upstanding gentleman and one of my closest card blogging friends realized that I must've sent him this SSP photo variation on accident and sent it back, along with all the cards you see above.  What a guy!

While I always love getting Tony Gwynn cards that I don't have, I really love the Dave Winfield Burger King card at the top, and the Wally Joyner playing-card-type card is probably my second favorite.  I've been trying to compile "Top Five" collections for a few players, and those made the cut for both Winfield and Joyner.

Anyways, I guess a quick collecting hiatus (really just a few months, I guess) has dulled my senses, and after pulling the Posey card from a Walmart rack pack, I shipped it out like an idiot instead of netting myself a nice little stash.  I'm not sure what I'll be able to get for it, but if I can get $90+ for it, I think I'll be doing pretty well.

Thanks Mark, for the Posey and for the Padres.  I don't know how you come up with these fantastic Friar cards, but I'll keep taking 'em as long as you can dish 'em out.

Happy Tuesday!

9 comments:

  1. Your post title read like one of those sidebar, spam ads... it gave me a hearty chuckle. Thank goodness for honest Joes like Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An upstanding fellow, that Mark. Magnanimous of him to send back that Posey, and those other Pads aren't half bad, either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally I subscribe to the notion that giving away cool cards builds up karma and will give you luck elsewhere. Although it was also bring it's fair share of repercussions too (no good deed goes unpunished as they say).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Although it will bring it's fair share of repercussions too (no good deed goes unpunished as they say).

      Delete
    2. I agree with ZZ about the karma. Plus, I really have no idea about the value of cards unless it something that I've been hunting on Ebay for some time. I would have shipped that card to a Giants fan and never would have given a thought about it being a SSP.
      Nice pull by the way!

      Delete
  4. The guilt I would have felt keeping that Posey card would have far outweighed anything else. Hell, I felt guilty even holding the damn thing! I honestly had no idea it was a SSP until I tried to enter it into my Zistle collection and discovered that it didn't match the pic of the regular base card. That brought me to eBay and the rest is history. Anyhow, I hope you get a good chunk of change for it!

    I knew you'd get a kick of out the BK Winfield and the phone card thingies. Glad to know they rank so high in your collection! As always, I'll keep an eye open for ya at future shows for other Friars anomalies...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, you are the man. Well done.

      Delete
  5. That's the problem with photo variation cards. Who knows how many people have sent me in the past without me giving them their proper due... and vice versa. Oh well... ignorance is bliss. If I ever send anyone $100 photo variations, I hope they don't say a word to me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I wouldn't know one if it fell in my lap.

      Delete