A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Shaking Off The Rust

Hey there!  This is my *checks blog* SEVENTH blog post of 2016.  And we're in the 5th month of the year!  After a whopping FOUR posts last month, I've already almost matched that mark, and we're only a third of the way through the month.  This is news folks!

Alright, it's pretty lame news, but here's what I'm really trying to get back into the habit of - trading.  I posted a few pieces of trade bait a few weeks ago, and I managed to set up my first trade with Tony from Wrigley Roster Jenga. I've actually followed Tony on Twitter for a bit, but have only checked out his blog recently, and man, it's a good one.

Anyways, I sent him some pretty cool cards (well, I mean, at least as cool as Cub cards can get), and he sent me a nice little stack of Padres.  Here they are. 

Alright, I usually only post the cards that I need (not the dupes that either go to my fellow Padres collectors or to my first graders), but I made an exception for this one, because I just love this card.  While I'm full steam ahead on the "Bring Back The Brown" movement in terms of Padres uniforms, the blue and orange on the jersey coupled with the blue and orange from the background is great.

Next up, there were some not as cool but still very needed cards.  While I'm definitely not a Padres "completist", I always like picking up the Heritage team sets.  Usually I do this via eBay/JustCommons.  However, After scoring a few from a couple of packs, I figured I'd give it the old school try and build it via trades.  So far, so good.  Oh, and man, I really like watching Wil Myers play baseball.  Probably my current favorite Padre.

I don't know how I feel about these foil stamped vintage cards that Topps seems to be pushing the past few years.  Good thing they have "ORIGINAL" stamped in the corner, to make sure that all those counterfeiters in the lucrative Dave Tomlin collector market know this is the real thing.

This was almost my favorite card of the package.  I already have Rickey's '96 Fleer card, but this is the slick "Tiffany" version.  As much as I love the texture of the '96 Fleer set, the photography and great use of foil looks really stellar here.  Always wondered who Rickey was talking to here…

As much as I loved the Rickey card, any time I can get a new-to-me Tony Gwynn card, that's a win for me.  Man, '96 Fleer was a rad set, and I don't think I remember opening more than a pack, if at all.  Sure, this is a little busy ("Uh, what's the name of this insert again?"), but it's still a good one in my book.

Thanks Tony!  I hope the Cubs go easy on the Padres this week - looking forward to watching them play two on Wednesday!

4 comments:

  1. Glad you liked the cards, that Rickey was definitely my favorite of the bunch. Here's to a good (and hopefully dry from here on out) series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rickey was probably talking to Rickey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's what gcrl was going to suggest, but once a cub beat gcrl to the punch.

      Delete
    2. fuji loves it when rickey talks about rickey... and fuji definitely agrees with once a cub and gcrl.

      fuji also thinks that cards is pretty sweet... and agrees with marcus that the tony is a wee bit cooler than the rickey.

      Delete