A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Greatest Team Set Ever


As a Padre fan, I'm used to the term "under promise, over deliver".  It's basically the only way to survive - expect little, be surprised if/when anything good happens.

Can this post really show the greatest team set ever?  Should I have under promised and over delivered?  Am I setting up whatever potential readers I might have for complete and utter disappointment?

First, let me state that I can't believe that I've waited until now to pick up the 1984 Smokey The Bear Padres team set.  Unbelievable.  Only, like $8, free shipping.  As a Padre fan who is a big fan of the '84 team (the year I was born, the year of their first World Series appearance), this is unacceptable.

If I had known that Smokey was not only the sponsor of this set, but also personally appeared on every card, trust me, I would've been all over this years ago.  Luis DeLeon letting Smokey try on his gold chain?  Eric Show showing an obviously confused bear how to hold a ball?  Kurt freaking Bevacqua sitting on Smokey the Bear's lap?  You gotta be kidding me!  This is the best team set of all time, and I declare that it's not even close.

Not only do they have the great '84 team, but they have coaches, the general manager, broadcasters, the mascot, heck, even an umpire!  While the card of the Chicken… uh, kissing Smokey is a little weird if I look at it for more than a few seconds, I gotta say that seeing Jack McKeon with a stogie in front of Smokey the Bear is pretty rad.  And I'll always take a Jerry Coleman card that I didn't have before.

When I clicked "buy", I figured at the very least, even if the set was a bust, I'd have a new Tony Gwynn card I didn't have previously.  Well, turns out that the Gwynn probably isn't' one of the top 10 cards in the set.  Not too shabby.

Here's a look at the back of them as well.  Nothing too fancy, vital information as well as stats from the previous year, mostly.  I chose these ones for the quotes, which ranged from interesting to punny to boring.  Still worth showing.

Well, there you have it, depending on who you are and what you like, I guess I can either accept your virtual pat on the back for a job well done, or I can return the price of admission for entrance to the blog.  As far as Padres go, this is about as good as it gets.

8 comments:

  1. I agree. This is a very cool oddball set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool set. That Sherry card looks like they're taking a Selfie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that bevacqua card is worth the price of the set right there. i only have the garvey - one of very few cards featuring a shovel.

    http://garveyceyrusselllopes.blogspot.com/2013/11/steve-garvey-is-lucky-that-bears-eat.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This set is awesome! I've been eyeing a copy of that Chicken card for a while now, I need to pull the trigger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, very cool! I picked up the Jerry Coleman on COMC a while back, but should grab the whole set one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How have I not seen this set before? I've got to get my hands on one of these sets.

    ReplyDelete