A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, December 14, 2015

Happy December!

Well, it's the middle of December, and I'm posting for the first time this month.  Woof.

Yep, it's been a while since I last posted, and even longer since I was writing even semi-frequently, but things have been chugging along at a good clip in the "real life" column.

Besides celebrating my oldest son's third birthday, counting down the days until the two week break, and enjoying getting into the Christmas spirit, we are currently in the process of becoming first-time home buyers!

We weren't really expecting it, but after going to a drive-in movie in a town about a half hour north of us, my wife decided to take a look at the house prices in the area, and we found a house that had been on the market for less than a week that we really liked.  In some ways, it's been a whirlwind process, but in others, it seems to be still dragging on at a snails pace.  But, the expectation is that we'll have the keys within the week, so we can begin a few not-too-difficult renovations and be in a little after New Years.

It's been a little rainy and gloomy here in central Texas recently, but here was a picture we took of the house just before Thanksgiving break.  It's in a city of about 7,000 called Gatesville.  I already checked - no MLB players have been born or raised in Gatesville, though there's been a few NFLers.

The activities of house-buying and house-packing, combined with the daily rigors of staying on top of work, family, and church responsibilities have really limited my blogging as of late.  That, plus actively trying to save not spend as much have put me on a card-buying hiatus.  While I'm still perusing the blogosphere now and then, it's on the back burner for now.

I can't have a whole post about just non-baseball card-stuff, so here's Phil Plantier's "Cyberstats" card from 1995 Topps, complete with a Tony Gwynn cameo.  This is a pretty rad card.

Let's see, is there anything else I wanna write about before signing off?  Oh!  Did y'all see that the Padres have some new uniforms?  I know that with a team that has as much of an identity crisis as the Padres, a uniform change really can't be "news", but I LOVE the return to brown.

They'll be wearing the brown uniforms (complete with brown and yellow hats) on Friday home games. These look sweet.  They also added a new "Navy camo" to their repertoire, which will be worn on the majority of Sunday home games.  While there is still a lot of blue in the rest of the Padres uniforms, I think that these are a start in the right direction - hopefully the brown will be more prevalent in forthcoming designs.

Oh, and Zack Grienke signed with the Diamondbacks for 206 million dollars.  That is an insane amount of money.  I think I read somewhere that it's possible that he makes a million dollars a start this upcoming season (or maybe it was over the lifetime of the contract).  Regardless, if this is true, it would mean that he makes enough to pay off our house (we will be buying it for $77,000) after pitching less than an inning.

Wow.

Oh, like I said, we'll be moving in sometime after New Years, and we'll get our mail forwarded to our new address, but I'll be sure to send a mass email to the people I've traded with so you can continue to send me those worthless Padre cards that come across your path.

Have a great Monday!


Cameo - Word Up

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I hope to soon be joining you in the first-time home buyers club in the near future. Snails pace is definitive over here.

    Also, I too enjoy the new brown jerseys the Padres are bringing out - they're much more true to the franchise than what they had been trotting out. However, camo jerseys are just universally repulsive in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new house, Marcus! All the best to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go, Marcus! Continued blessings to you and the family. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your new home! I'm not a Padre fan, but I agree they should remain true to their brown unis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the house! I'm hoping we join the club as well this spring. While I'm a little more split on the actual style, I'm glad to see the brown and yellow back. At least one day a week I'll be able to stomach watching the Padres on mlb.tv

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy the holiday season and good luck with the move! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've pulled a few fairly nice (by my cheap standards anyway) Padres things recently. They're set aside for you for now

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the house! We just got happily settled in our new home. Time to get back to the blog.

    ReplyDelete