A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Updates


Did anybody watch Game 1 of the World Series last night?  I missed it, just like every other postseason game this year.  I don't have cable, just the MLB At Bat app, which doesn't work for postseason games unless you already have a TV provider, which I don't.  So, between carving pumpkins with the kids and watching the last two episodes of The Blacklist on Netflix, I went to Walmart to pick up a few things, and lo and behold, they finally had Topps Update in stock.

I listened to the part of the game where the Royals tied it at three while I opened the rack pack, and while it wasn't overwhelming, I did get a pair of cards that were definite keepers.  Even though the above image was already used in Heritage High Numbers, it still makes for a interesting, if not repetitive card.  I still dig it.

As if I hadn't seen enough of Matt Kemp with the first card, here he is again.  I perused the Padre cards from Update online, and while I'm not enamored with many of the shots they used, I like this one enough.  Good start to his Padre career with this card (and yeah, he was decent on the field, though not the offensive savior that the front office hoped he would be).

Update, to me, is all about rookie cards of players I've never heard of and boring All-Star Game or Home Run Derby cards.  Ugh.  Well, even though I hardly even follow non-Padres teams, I do know these guys.  Took me a while to figure out how to pronounce Syndergaard's name, but I think I got it now.  Oh, and I'm glad I checked up on the Addison Russell card, because it turns out that it's a photo variation.  Seem to be a lot of those in this year's Update set, but maybe it's just me.

Even though it isn't a Padre card, Evan Gattis' card still stuck out to me.  I have a hard time remembering what Topps and other big collectors ™ call different parallels, so I'll stick with "throwback Topps logo parallel that looks like a gold parallel" card.  While these don't appear to be too rare either, I really dig the subject matter and the throwback Astros logos, very cool.

Anyways, it was nice to finally get my hands on Update, but I'll probably still need to pick up the Padres base set on eBay or something.  Later though.

3 comments:

  1. Game wasn't on cable, just need an antenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I don't have cable either, but I do have an antenna and it works great for the local stations. Look into i!

      Delete
  2. That Gattis is a beauty. The 'stros have some of the best throwbacks ever.

    ReplyDelete