A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Saturday, October 24, 2015

KC Cards

Well, the Royals punched their World Series ticket with a victory over the Blue Jays last night.  I gotta say, I really liked the MLB playoff field this year, especially once the Yankees, Cardinals, and Dodgers got eliminated (sorry to fans of those teams).  I like Kansas City but wouldn't have minded it if Toronto was the AL representative.  I've got a few friends that are fans of both teams, so I'd be happy for them.

Initially, I planned (after being woken up at 5:00 this morning) to do a post showing all my cards from the two World Series teams that weren't part of sets (don't need to scan a bunch of '91 Fleer, '92 Pinnacle, or any of the recent cards from the '71 Topps design ('12 Archives or '13 Topps minis).  However, I soon found out that, if I stuck to that rule, I'd have ZERO Mets.  That's kinda weird, right?

I mean, I'm a Padres collector, almost exclusively, and my buddy Mark is a big Mets fan, so I guess it makes sense that I've shipped off all my Mets to him.  Still thought I woulda had someone, though.

So, instead of showing both teams, here are all of my Royals cards (like I said, the ones that aren't part of complete sets).

Speaking of Mark, he's hooked me up with a ton of Benito Santiago cards.  I kinda lost track of Benito after he went to the Marlins from San Diego, but man, the dude was on a lot of teams.  I wouldn't have even known about the Royals were it not for this card, which happens to be a pretty good one, if I do say so myself.

Another Royal with a Padre connection is Chris Gwynn.  Not only is Chris' brother the greatest Padre ever, but Chris cemented his name into Padres lore when he scored the winning run on the last game of the '96 season to complete a sweep of the Dodgers for the National League West title.  Probably one of my all time favorite baseball memories.

Alright, last player with a Padre connection.  Big Game James Shields came over to the Padres this past offseason, and I was super excited about it.  While he didn't have a bad season, he gave up a ton of homers (mostly solo shots) and definitely didn't look like the ace the Padres were hoping to see.  Hopefully next year is a turnaround.  I love Pinnacle and was super excited when Panini brought it back a few years ago.  Looks like it'll be a one-time deal though, since it's been two years since awesome cards like these.

My most recent addition to my "Foster" collection is a Royal who is still in their farm system.  Griffin was a 1st round pick (28th overall) in 2014, though his 5.44 ERA in 22 games at single-A Lexington isn't a great start, he's still young (he just turned 20).

Not only do the Royals have a card in my "Foster" collection (my oldest son's name), they also have a card in my "Maxwell" collection (my youngest son's name).  Congratulations Royals, here's a shaving cream celebration.

I don't really follow the Royals (or any other non-Padres team, for that matter), but Jeremy Guthrie is my favorite current Royal.  I first heard of Guthrie when he was a Rockie who tweeted out that he needed a throwing partner and ended up playing catch on an off-day with a cancer survivor.  I read more about him and found out that he was Mormon and had served a two-year mission in Spain before becoming a professional ball-player.  He has yet to play in the postseason (he had a 5.95 ERA this year, so I can't say that's a huge surprise). 

This is probably my all-time favorite Royals card.  It wasn't until last year that I found out that Harmon Killebrew had been a Royal.  While his final season in the majors wasn't a great one, the 39 year old Killebrew got to add 14 homers to his career total of 573.  Man, that is a lot of dingers.  This is the only Kansas City Killebrew that I've come across, and I really like seeing him in an unfamiliar uniform.  Kinda reminds me of seeing Dale Murphy in a Rockies uniform.  Not to go crazy on the Mormon baseball player theme, but Killebrew and Murphy are the two best ever.

Anyways, I'm not sure that I have a rooting interest in a Royals/Mets World Series.  If my baseball card collection is any indication, I'm leaning towards the Royals, but both teams seem pretty fun to watch.  The Royals also have a pair of former-Padre pitchers in Chris Young and Edinson Volquez, but it's fun watching Daniel Murphy and Yoenis Cespedes hit.  Either way, I guess I'll root for some good drama, anything that can turn headlines away from football and towards baseball.

If it goes seven games, then it means the baseball season gets to last just a little bit longer.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent card of Killer. I'd like the Royals to win, but I'll be just as happy if we have some good baseball games to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the Killebrew is my all-time favorite Royals card as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Killebrew as a Royal... Mind. Blown.

    ReplyDelete