A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, October 12, 2015

Heritage High Number Padres


How are you guys digging' High Number Heritage?  Pretty cool, right?

Just kidding, I have no idea.  Well, I mean, I had no idea.  While I still haven't been able to find any in my neck of the woods, I picked up the cheapest Padres team set I could find on eBay, and it came a few days ago.

I mean, just look at that card at the top of this post!  Isn't that awesome?  Forget that the "New Look Padres ™" finished with an even worse record than last year (and obliterated a slightly-above average farm system in the process).  Look at those big names!

Don't wanna be too negative, because at least Matt Kemp had a decent year (.265, 23 HR, 100 RBI), and Wil Myers was good when he was healthy (for those sweet, 60 games).  I guess Justin Upton will fetch a compensation draft pick when he doesn't re-sign with the Padres, so there's a plus, too.

Anyways, on to the rest of the set.  The Padres got the shaft in the original Heritage set, so they made out pretty well in the High Numbers set.  Here's the first page:

Alright, so Will Venable was traded to the Rangers, Leonel Campos only pitched in one inning this year, Brandon Morrow had another Tommy John surgery, and Will Middlebrooks ended the season in Triple-A.  At least we got some big names in James Shields and Wil Myers.  To be honest, the best player for the Padres this season was probably Yangervis Solarte, and down the stretch… it might've been Melvin Upton Jr.  I really hated the Kimbrel/Upton Jr. trade, just because the Padres took on so much contract money, but it turns out that Mel hasn't been… that bad.  Still not a fan of his, but there's a possibility that it's not AJ Preller's worst trade.

Alright, with the exception of Lil Lexi Amarista on the top row and the "New Look" card on the bottom, the other cards are the "high numbered" cards in the High Numbered Heritage set.  Austin Hedges is probably my favorite of the bunch here, though it's most exciting to watch Craig Kimbrel.  

Unfortunately, Chris Denorfia is not included in the HHN set (and has so far, not been included in any Topps sets), and even if he was, it wouldn't be a glorious Padres card.  I think I have a new spot in my heart for a new favorite player, and I think it's gonna be Yan.  I've picked up a few new Solarte cards that I'll be showing soon, but look for more of him in (hopefully) future posts.

2 comments:

  1. That Melvin Upton fellow looks a lot like B.J. Upton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That New-Look Padres card is sweet! It might be the highlight for Padres card collectors this year... which is kinda sad, since we had so much talent on the roster this year. But it's okay... the season is over and they can look forward to a better season next year. Go Padres!

    ReplyDelete