A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

(Former) Padres in the Playoffs

Are you like me?  Sitting at home during the playoffs without a team to root for?  I mean, sure, jumping on the Royals bandwagon won't be too hard to do since you hopped on it last year too, and the upstart Astros are a good story.  The Cubs could be exciting, and the Rangers and Blue Jays are fun, slugging teams.

Maybe when trying to choose a postseason team, you take a look at who you recognize from the teams.  You know, guys who used to be playing for the right team, but now have moved on to greener pastures.  

Chase Headley played for the Yankees in that brief Wild Card game, dominated by that Astros pitcher with the rad beard who's name I can't pronounce or spell.  But sorry Chase, you'd have to be a pretty spectacular player to get me to actually root for the Yankees.  But few would be strong enough to move that needle.  Not that it matters anymore.

Edinson Volquez was way more frustrating to watch than enjoyable, so I'll say that I can continue to semi-root for the Royals despite Volquez' presence on the team.  He did pitch in the only one-hitter I have ever seen at a baseball stadium in person, so i guess that's gotta count for something.

Speaking of frustrating, it's tough to beat Will Venable.  At least Volquez was only here for a few years and only played every fifth game or so.  I had to endure Venable for quite a while.  Of course, by the time he moved on, I had finally grown to love him, so I'll say that, while I would be rooting for my home-state Texas Rangers regardless, it'd be especially cool if they won because Will Venable is a pretty decent guy.


Speaking of Texas teams, it turns out that the one that's further south is packed with Padre pitchers, specifically relief pitchers from the 2011 Topps set.  While I don't remember much about Chad Qualls, it's hard to root against fellow baseball card collector Pat Neshek, and Luke Gregerson is probably one of my all-time favorite bullpen guys, so I'll say that they definitely move Houston up a little higher than they would normally be.

I'll be honest, the Adrian Gonzalez and Edinson Volquez cards were taken on an iPhone, not a scanner, because I completely forgot that they were Padres at one point.  At least with Volquez, I've blocked out a bunch of negative memories.  In A-Gone's part, I think it's because I've identified with him as a Dodger so much that I forgot he ever played in San Diego.  

I'll never be able to forget the horrible Andrew Cashner for Anthony Rizzo trade, but I wasn't attached to Rizzo like other Padres, so at the time, it stung less than it does now.  Man, wouldn't that be nice if the Padres had someone who could play first base and hit home runs?  Thanks Cubs.

I had to double check on Clayton Richard, because I'm pretty sure at one point he was signed by the Pirates as well.  Clayton was a solid, if not unexciting pitcher to watch once in a while, though he was slowed by injuries towards the end of his Padres tenure.  He's been alright for the Cubs so far.

While I'm far from a Cubs fan, they have a great team full of young talent.  While nobody would call Chris Denorfia a young player, I'm sure that even fewer would call this fourth outfielder a "talent".  Well, that's a shame because Norf rules.  Here he is, high giving guys that aren't on the Padres anymore either (the aforementioned Headley and Logan Forsythe, currently on the Rays).

After that little exercise, I think my loyalties remain - geographical location leads me to root for the Rangers and Astros, Norf leads me to root for the Cubs, and no amount of goodwill could ever lead me root for the Dodgers.

1 comment:

  1. Just get it out of your system and embrace the Dodgers. That way at least you won't have to complain about having no one to root for in the postseason -- the Padres aren't going to help you there.

    ReplyDelete