A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Saturday, August 29, 2015

The 7th Kouz

The first week of school is in the books, and it was awesome.  I'm not sure how often I'll be blogging now, but I guess it's been a slow year for me posting-wise, so it's not like only writing a few posts a month will be dropping my activity down too much anyways.

In celebration of having a good first day of school, I bought this card on eBay for a few bucks.  It came yesterday, and I dig it.

Kind of a rushed post, so only a quick iPhone photo, no scan today.  It's just a plain white jersey swatch, numbered 24/200.  There are a ton of parallels from the 2008 Upper Deck Baseball Heroes set,  but this is one of the lower-ish numbers, for what it's worth.

I now have seven parallels of that card, since it joins this other sextet.  From top to bottom, left to right, there's the base card, blue /199, red/249, silver/399, red auto swatch/50, and green/499.  I think I'll stop at a page of these, so whatever the cheapest two parallels I can find (under $5), I'll snatch up… sometime.  

Speaking of Kouzmanoff, I was wearing my Kouz replica jersey w/my new San Antonio Missions hat in the HEB in town a few days ago, when the guy behind me started talking about how he played against former Padre prospect and not-so-great major league player Sean Burroughs in Little League.  Kind of a cool conversation to have with a random stranger, who wouldn't have even mentioned it if I hadn't been rocking my Padres gear.

EDIT: I noticed when I hit "publish", that this is my 801st post on this blog!  I guess that's kind of a milestone, right?  Anyways, just thought it was worth mentioning.  I tried to find a way to tie in the number 801 to Kevin Kouzmanoff, but couldn't find a way.  For those curious, he had exactly 650 hits and 500 strikeouts in his 685 game MLB career.

1 comment: