A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Thursday, August 20, 2015

New Cards, Part 1

I made a Just Commons purchase recently, and I've been so busy with getting ready for school stuff (tonight is "Meet The Teacher" night on my campus) that the purchase details have been sitting in draft format for a few days.  Instead of cramming it into one post, I'll spread it out so I can make some posts in my sparse downtime.

The first step of most of my JC purchases is to complete any team sets that I'm working on.  Usually, it's just a few cards, but this time I had a whole bunch to pick up.

After buying a blaster of Allen & Ginter, I was completely shut out of Padres, so I had to buy the whole team set.  This Matt Kemp card was my favorite of the bunch, and it's probably my favorite Matt Kemp -as-a-Padre card that I've come across so far.

This Jedd Gyorko card was the last one from Topps Series 1 that I needed.  Glad to have that taken care of.  I actually forgot that it was in Series 1, but on the back, it says Series 1 and Series 2.  I think I kinda like that.

I still needed about half of the Padres from Topps Series 2.  The Yan Solarte card is my favorite Padre card in the whole set, I think it's great.  I have a rainbow of most of the parallels of Solarte's Topps Update card last year, but I probably won't do that again.  With all the additions that the Padres made this year, I think Solarte is still my favorite Padre.

I only had two Padre cards from the Stadium Club set, so I was glad to finish off the set here.  This Tony Gwynn card is super stellar.  I'll show off another one of these in a future post.

After looking through my Team Set binder recently, I decided that I wanted to upgrade my 2011 Topps set to be all diamond parallels.  I had about ten of those, and I was able to pick up a few more of them from here.  I really dig this one, the scan makes it look like Dustin Moseley is jumping over a running Diamondback in a snowstorm.  I added the remaining diamond parallels to my want list.  13 more to go until the set's complete.  It looks like the Anthony Rizzo card might be a toughie.

Anyways, yep, I was able to complete team sets of 2015 Topps Series 1 & 2, Allen & Ginter, and Stadium Club, and nabbed a few of the '11 shiny cards.  Not a bad deal.  Oh, in case you didn't know, justcommons.com changed their shipping policy.  Instead of being free for all purchases over $10, now it's $15.  Still a pretty decent deal.

2 comments:

  1. I think I'm due for a Just Commons order soon as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Nick. Oh, and "super stellar" is totally the right way to describe the TSC Gwynn!!

    ReplyDelete