A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Thursday, August 6, 2015

Birthday Cards

Today's my birthday.  The big 3-1.  Nothing big planned, though on Saturday we will probably go down to Austin with the kids and do some fun stuff in the big city.  I'll start listening to the Padres game when I'm done with this post, probably, but they've been playing uninspired ball lately, so I don't quite set my schedule to it like I did at the beginning of the season.

Anyways, my brother got me an autographed ball from a minor league game he went to, my mom got me a few hats from MLB.com, and my grandparents sent me some nice birthday cards with some nice money in them.

However, I've got some nice eBay pickups that've come my way recently, so I'll go ahead and count them as birthday presents to myself.

I'm counting this as a Tony Gwynn card, though it's definitely a unique entry into the binder.  One of only two without any image of Tony.  The other one just has his name on it, I forget much else about it.  Oh, DID YOU KNOW: Tony got his 2,000th and 3,000th hits on my birthday (in '93 and '99).  I was at the game in '93, it was rad.

His 2,000th hit was off Bruce Ruffin, and this game was such a great memory for me (Padres swept a doubleheader, Tony's 2,000th hit, a large section of the crowd singing "Happy Birthday" to me), that it's hard for me to really hate the Rockies, even though they're a division rival.

I need to get a Dan Smith card.  Looks like there's only one of him as an Expo in 1999, a Fleer Tradition Update card, so I just added it to a future justcommons.com purchase.

I also found a team set of 1986 Fleer Mini cards for $1.99.  That's a steal!  Another new Gwynn, and a particularly rad Goose to add to my Miscellaneous Padres binder.

The rest of these cards are considerably newer.  I didn't think I would like the Will Ferrell cancer-fundraising/publicity stunt that he did in Spring Training, when he spent the whole day playing an inning or two at a time for a bunch of teams in Arizona.  But it turns out I thought it was really cool.  Plus, that's, like a dream for every fan, right?  He capped off the day playing for the Padres - in right field, a fitting end, since longtime Padre right fielder Tony Gwynn had passed away the season before to cancer.  While I'll admit I'm not a big fan of most of Ferrell's movies, this is still a cool card to have.

This Cory Spangenberg card (with a picture that's also used in his Stadium Club card from this year) is an insert from this year's Archive set.  With the Farrell and Spangy cards, this makes all the Padres from the set that I have, with the exception of the Justin Upton game-piece card.  It says "Strike Out" on it, and, well, I don't really want it, mostly for that reason.  The Rymer Liriano card is a pretty cool mini-relic from Panini's Diamond Kings set.  Most mini-relics you see nowadays are in a framed border like in Gypsy Queen or Allen & Ginter, so this is pretty unique in that way.  Also serial numbered to 99, so that's cool too.

The last three cards are all relics!  I don't usually get too fancy with the relics, but I've been a little starved for new cards of new Padres.  While it's not the fanciest looking relic (plain white swatch) and Myers looks kinda like how I feel when I have to get up early for school it was three bucks free shipping, and I couldn't pass it up.

I was even more excited about this Kemp relic.  As far as I'm concerned bat relics > jersey relics, and even though Kemp hasn't lived up to expectations, he's at least played pretty regularly (Myers has been injured since the third week of the season).  Overall, I think I prefer the Ginter relics that are vertically aligned than the horizontal ones, but I'll take what I can get.  Now that the Padres have some bigger names, it might not be as easy to track some of these "slightly higher end" cards.

Update: I ended up bailing on this post partway through to watch the Padres game because my daughter said she'd watch it with me.  That lasted a few pitches, but I stuck with the game the rest of the time.  A pretty tough to watch 10-1 loss to the Brewers.  I looked it up, and it turns out that the Padres do pretty well on my birthday: Since I've been born, they've gone 20-10 (with three off-days and a double header crammed into those 32 dates).

Well, I've been kinda waiting around the mailbox for these cards to come, and it's one of those rare times where I don't have at least something from eBay on the way.  Actually a pretty good feeling, since I don't need to be spending too much on cards these days (even though all of these cost less than a blaster box).

Though I'll be sure to post the results of my Just Commons order that I'll be placing today.  Can't let all of that birthday money go to responsible stuff - and it's free shipping if it's over ten bucks.

7 comments:

  1. HappyBirthday, Marcus. I just gotback from Fort Polk, La. after 3 weeks of annual training, so I've an opportunity to catch a couple of games againstthe brewers. Ouch! By the way, I recently read an article on Gwnn's 3, 00 hit. According to Dan Smith, gwynn approached him the following day, telling him how they were "Now in this togeher." Hesaid Gwynn then gave him an autographed jersey, auo'd bat and a pair of auto'd baseballs. He said it was totally unexpected, but truly shows what a class act Gwynn truly was.

    ReplyDelete