A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Way Back GWYNNsday


Today, the Padres lost their second game in a row, dropping the series to the Giants.  A bummer for sure, though, if dropping the series dashes the (false) hope that they have a chance for the playoffs and decide to sell off talent that won't be with them going forward (Justin Upton, Ian Kennedy, Joaquin Benoit, and Shawn Kelley, and maybe other pieces to rebuild for a season or two from now), I guess it's not all bad.

But the best part of today's game by far, was the 80s themed stuff the Padres did.  They wore the late 80s uniforms with the brown pinstripes and orange interlocking SD.  I would personally love it if they went to this look full time, but unfortunately, I really don't see that happening.  But they upped the ante today, by adding 80s movie themed looks to the jumbo screen, which is the largest in the National League.  

 Here was their starting lineup.  Loved the Top Gun reference with Yangervis Solarte and the Harrison Ford-themed ones for Clint Barmes and Derek Norris.  SO good.

What does this have to do with Tony Gwynn?

To be honest, not very much.  However, I did get a trio of Gwynn cards from Adam E. in the mail the other day, and this was one of them:

I already had the Donruss version of this card, but the Leaf version is new to me.  This is the away version of the 80s uniforms that the Padres were sporting today.  I guess I prefer the home versions of these uniforms, but they're still better than the current blue.  This was my favorite one of the bunch, because I'm a sucker for black borders.

I've noticed recently that my Miscellaneous Padres binder is pretty low on 80s cards.  I guess I don't have a big attraction to that particular era, though I love everything about the early 90s.  Regardless, the 80s are well represented in my Gwynn binder by gems like this.

Here are the other two.  I especially dig the one on the right, an oddball that I've never seen or heard of before.  Tough to go wrong with the Circa card on the left though, because '98 was one of the (if not the) best season in franchise history.

These were Gwynn cards 627, 628, and 629.  Thanks a lot Adam!

Hope y'all had a great GWYNNsday.

1 comment:

  1. Not sure if this is your cup of tea... but Gwynn signed a bunch of his Legends magazines back in the early 90's. It was a promotion for the magazine itself. I've seen them on eBay and Amazon. If you're patient, you can find them for a reasonable price.

    ReplyDelete