A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Top 5 Padre All-Star Cards (Non-Gwynn Edition)

It's the last day of the All-Star break, and boy am I ready to have baseball back on.  Like most teams, the Padres haven't played since Sunday, but their last three game series happened to be against the Rangers.  According to the lines drawn by MLB, I live in the blackout area for both Texas teams, so I can't watch games against them.  That means I haven't watched a Padres game since last Thursday, which is easily the longest I've gone between games since the season started.

Anyways, since it's the last day of the All-Star break, here's a final (for now, at least) look at some Padre-related All-Star cards.

Yesterday, I posted five Tony Gwynn All-Star cards, but when prepping for that post, I actually scanned every All-Star Gwynn card I had.  It was in the 30's or 40's, but I didn't feel like posting them all.  Too much Gwynn overload.

But it got me thinking about other Padres All-Stars.  Here are my top five favorite All-Star Padre cards that don't feature Tony. The pickings were pretty slim on this one.

#5 - Tyson Ross, 2014 Topps Update
I'm not sure how to feel about Tyson Ross.  On one hand, he's probably the Padres best pitcher.  He undoubtedly has the staff's nastiest pitch, which is a devastating slider.  The Padres got him for basically scraps from the A's, so it's been cool to see him develop, but he can be really frustrating to watch and leads the league in walks.  Last year, he went to the All-Star game and didn't play at all.  That is a very "Padres" sentence.

#4 - Steve Finley, 1997 Collector's Choice
Ugh, this one scanned pretty terribly.  This is actually one of my top five favorite Finley cards, and the blue foil looks prett killer against the red letters and the silver star in the background.  I guess you'll just have to trust me on that.  But you don't have to trust me that Steve Finley was awesome.  That's just the facts.

#3 - Heath Bell, 2011 Topps Update
Heath Bell doesn't really turn the dial too much for me.  He seems pretty cool, from what I saw during his time in San Diego, but there was that TV show that they did on the Marlins when Ozzie Guillen was the manager that made him seem kind of like a jerk.  Regardless of all of that, his sliding into the mound from the bullpen was a pretty memorable moment for Padres fans, and very cool that Topps used that picture for this card.  He threw five pitches in the 2011 All Star Game, getting Jhonny Peralta to pop up to second on a 3-1 count.  


#2 - Gary Sheffield, 1992 Ultra
Gary Sheffield was incredible when he wore a Padres uniform.  I got this card out of a pack when I was a kid, and it's still one of my favorites.  Though I'm not even a small fraction of the Sheffield fan I was when I was eight, I still dig the black marble borders and Gary's cool fielding stance that pops out at you.  Easily my favorite of any of the top five designs.

#1 - Trevor Hoffman, 1997 Collector's Choice
What?  '97 Collector's Choice has two cards in the top five?  Very impressive.  While it looks like the Finley was an inserty type card, this one was Trevor's base card, but it still has the little All-Star emblem in the bottom right.  I've said it before, but this is my favorite Trevor Hoffman card.  It also nabbed the number TWO spot on my Top 50 Padre Cards from the 90's countdown I did in 2013.

I supposed the whole "All-Star break without baseball" thing might not be that big a deal for most people, but being a teacher who isn't working this summer and spending the majority of my day at home, it's all I've got (well, you know, besides that whole "being a dad and husband" thing, ha ha).

5 comments:

  1. Dude, I can't tell you how annoying those foil-y Collector's Choice All-Star cards are in terms of scanning. They are great cards, no doubt, but never meant to be scanned, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you about the All-Star break. What's a teacher on summer break to do when there is no new baseball news to follow or games to watch on TV? (You know, except run to the store, do the dishes, clean up after the cats & etc.)
    It's too bad we don't live near each other as we could both potentially save each other from summer boredom during the AS break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, those old Ultra marble borders were pretty snazzy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Bell is my favorite of this bunch (and among favorite All-Star cards ever), but the Hoffman is a close second.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great cards. Love 1992 Fleer Ultra. Spent so much money building a master set of that product.

    ReplyDelete