A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

A Five (All) Star GWYNNsday

Did everybody watch the All-Star Game yesterday?  I didn't, since we cut the cord a… well, we haven't had dish or cable ever at our current house, and we've been here for three years.  We get by just fine with Roku and a Netflix, Hulu, and MLB.tv subscription.

But, unfortunately, games that are available on cable are not available on MLB.tv, so listened to parts of the game on the At Bat app on my phone while I was driving, and followed it on GameDay when I was at home.  Not exciting, but it was good to see that Justin Upton got a hit and stole a base (and then got stranded on base by some good-for-nothing former Padres/current Dodgers).

Anyways, it's GWYNNsday, and since we're at the All-Star break still, here are five of my favorite (though not necessarily my top five) Tony Gwynn cards with the words "All Star" on them.  One of the things that I liked about my post yesterday (which showed almost all of the Padres All-Stars in team history) was that I could see how different each card was as well as different uniforms (Lord knows the Padres have had enough changes throughout their history).  The differences with these aren't as stark as yesterday, but there's still enough differences to make it interesting.  Well, at least to me.

You might recognize this card as the #walletcard of Gavin (from Breakdown Cards).  This is a good one.  Lots of solid colors, red, yellow, and blue, topped off by the smiling mugshot of Mr. Padre.  I have a regular copy of this card, so I'm not sure if this is different or not, but this particular card has a blank, brown, cardboard back.  Anyways, I dig this one.

Oh, did you hear that the Padres are hosting the All-Star Game next year?  They're unveiling the logo they'll be using for next year's game on Friday,  and with the way the season is shaping up so far, it's all the Padres fans have to look forward to until the trade deadline.  Hopefully there's some brown in there, as the logo will probably hint at the direction the team will be moving towards in terms of uniforms.

Ok, onto this card.  This is from the last time the Padres hosted the game, way back in 1992.  I went to FanFest, and though I don't remember it that much (I was almost eight at the time), I remember it being pretty cool.

As far as I'm aware, this is the only card of Tony with a fish, only partially obscured by Philadelphia's All-Star Game logo.  I'd be interested to know if Tony really went fishing with his Padre hat on.  For some reason, I doubt it.

This is one of my favorite Gwynn's.  For one, you can see the right sleeve patch that shows the "Primera Serie" logo.  The Padres and Mets played the first regular season series in Mexico.  I remember that, mostly for Ken Caminiti's flu-like symptoms game (took an IV and a Snickers, then hit two home runs) and Fernando Valenzuela's triumphant showing in front of his countrymen.  The look on Gwynn's face seems to say "Hey blue, I'll let you know if it's a strike.  By swinging at it."

Alright, though I said that these weren't necessarily my favorites, this is one of my favorite Gwynn's of all time.  Everything about this card is pretty much perfect.  STELLAR Padres uniforms, with plenty of brown and yellow to go around, with just a touch of orange.  Simple design, easy-to-see All Star logo.  Classic pose.  I dunno, it's just great.

I have one more All-Star related Padres post up my sleeve that I'll probably post up sometime tomorrow.  Hope everybody is surviving the day without baseball games enjoying their All-Star break.

1 comment:

  1. I love the 1985 Topps Gwynn all-star card and all the glory of brown, yellow, and orange. I purchased that exact jersey from Mitchell & Ness a few years with the intention of getting Gwynn to sign it, but never had the chance.

    ReplyDelete