A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Saturday, June 13, 2015

School Is (well, has been) OUT!


Alright, school isn't technically out for me, since I volunteered (and am getting paid to teach summer school).  It's going well, and is now a third of the way done, but the regular school year is over.  This school year started out pretty rough, but it ended pretty well, so that's good.  On the last day of school, one of my favorite students brought me a present - the hat you see above.  VERY cool.  I've probably worn it every day since I got it, including the whole last day of school.

Since school got out, it's been summer school in the morning, and a lot of splash parks and softball games for our family.  It finally stopped raining (if you live in Texas or saw/heard of the Texas floods, you'll know what I'm talking about), and it's already heating up a lot.


I've been one of the assistant coaches for Harper's team, which has been way more fun than I thought it would be.  It's probably not a stretch to say that she's the worst on her team.  She's the smallest, slowest, and can't hit or throw the ball as far as any of her teammates.  Despite all that, she's having a fun time and getting better everyday.  Nobody gets a bigger cheer than when she's batting, all the parents and her teammates love her, and when she scored for the first time (in game 5 or 6 of the season), both sidelines were cheering for her.  She is so awesome.  I'm hoping that next year I can be her head coach, so I'm already trying to think of Padre-themed team names that would be appropriate for a 6U-girls softball team.

Anyways, no two ways about it, I've been slacking in posting, but I got a few card mailers from friends of the blog, so I thought it was enough of a kick in the pants to toss up a blog post.

The first group came to Texas from Mark, my best good blogging friend from This Way To The Clubhouse...

 I've been streamlining my collection lately, but a Tony Gwynn card that I didn't already have?  That's going into a binder.  The Khalil Greene went into the trade box, but I still showed it because I love Khalil Greene, as any decent, Padre-loving fan should.

Steve Garvey?  Well, you can still be a Padre fan even if you don't love the Garv.  There is no greater hit in the history of the franchise as big as the one he got in the NLCS against the Cubs that helped them win the series to go to their first World Series, but the guy is still a Dodger.  Still, I love the oddball-ness of this card.  Not sure how Ray Kroc, the owner of McDonald's would've reacted to seeing Steve on a Burger King card, but this is pretty cool in my book.

He sent quite a few other cards, but these were the ones that stood out to me.  As far as I'm aware, this is the only Kevin Quackenbush card that shows him in a Padre uniform (airbrushed as it may be).  Those poor bullpen guys get no love from the card companies (I feel for ya Nick Vincent!).  The Nolan Ryan looks really sharp in hand.  I remember ripping packs of the Nolan Ryan set as a kid, but I never came across one that was shiny like this one.  Very cool.

Then yesterday, I got a bubble mailer from Jason, a reader who I hadn't traded with for over a year.  Very cool and kind of him to think of me, and he sent some killer Padre cards.

I needed the Tony Gwynn card from this year's Donruss set, which is perfect, because the last one I needed came in the mail via eBay today.  I'll post up all five of those hopefully this week.  I am probably Gabriel Quintana's biggest card collecting fan, after seeing him play in Lake Elsinore last season.  In the game I went to, he hit a home run, and later I went to the team shop and bought a broken, autographed bat of his.  I already had the base and chrome of his '15 Bowman card, but this is the refractor and is numbered out of 499.  The crown jewel of the mailer was the Jedd Gyorko autograph.  I actually have four or five Gyorko autographs, which seems a little extreme, but this is easily my favorite of the bunch.  Thanks Jason!

I'll end with this note.  I'm not a big fan of relic cards for non-baseball players, but I would LOVE to have a Ginter-style relic card of the suit that Padres GM A.J. Preller wore during the MLB Draft this week.  That thing is incredible.

Hope to get some more posts up this week, including a slew of Gwynn's and some new Cianfrocco's.  Until then, be excellent to each other.

1 comment:

  1. I have a craving for a Whopper now after seeing that Garvey. Nice trades!

    ReplyDelete