A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, June 15, 2015

Overdue and Oversized

While a big focus on my collecting habits has centered around the guy you see in my blog header, I'm not ALL about Tony Gwynn.  Far from it actually.

While I want to keep adding to the Gwynn binder, my most beloved player collection belongs to Archi Cianfrocco.  While the checklist of Gwynn cards "to get" keeps on growing with each passing set release (not complaining though), my Cianfrocco list is pretty stagnant, so it's a collection that I expect will be complete sooner rather than later.

Getting down to the wire, it's a lot of parallels, oddballs, minor league cards, and things I've never heard of that are slowly but surely popping up on my radar.

While I have some great Archi-ological finds to show, here are some that are of the oversized variety, as in larger than your standard 2" x 3" piece of cardboard.


I've heard of some of the special releases that came out for specific card shows in the 90s (well, and even today), but it turns out that this wasn't just a card from the 1992 East Coast National; it's a "Proof" card!  I wasn't aware of this when I bought it, so I was surprised when I went to put it in my Archi binder and saw that it wouldn't fit in the plastic page.  While the obvious difference between this card and the regular 1992 Stadium Club card is the gold stamp right next to Archi's head...

… it's also a bit bigger!  Here's the standard sized card to compare it to.  At first, I thought that the image was bigger on the new one, but it turns out that that the photo is actually less cropped than the regular card.  The stripe on Archi's pant is slightly more visible, as is the shoulder of the person in the background on the right.  I thought that was kinda cool, although I still need to track down the regular version of the 1992 Stadium Club East Coast National card.  Got a cheap one (less than $2 shipped) lined up on eBay, just gotta wait for the combined invoice and I'm good to go.

Next up, is an Extra Bases card from 1994.  I'd never heard/seen of these, but at least when I ordered it, I knew what to expect.  Pretty cool in my opinion, plus the seller also tossed in a top loader that actually fits this card.

By far though, this is the coolest of the oversized cards I picked up.  This takes the cake.  I guess you'd call it a "panel" of cards, since both of these cards from '94 Fleer are still uncut.  I'm not even sure how this happens, but it was like, $3.50 with shipping, so how could I possibly pass this up?  It's also the only card I know of in my collection of Pat Rapp, so congratulations to him on making it, I'm sure he's thrilled.

Here's the back.  I was wondering if the card numbers for these two would be close together, since they're attached, but it's not the case, they're not even close.  '94 Fleer was a pretty generic set (especially compared to the Fleer set that would follow it in 1995), but it isn't bad by any stretch.  I kinda like it.

Anyways, I've been meaning to post these large additions to my Archi Cianfrocco collection for a while, so I'm glad I finally got around to it.  Hope everybody's having a great Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment