A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Minor Variations

Leave it to a post about baseball cards to get a Billy Joel song stuck in my head.

I was the oldest of the seven kids in my family, and without an older sibling to tell me what music was cool, I had my parents.  Parents always know what's cool, right?  So, while everybody was listening to… well, whatever was popular in the early 90s, I was big into Boston and Journey (from my dad) and Billy Joel (from my mom).  Billy Joel was my favorite, and money that wasn't being spent on baseball cards was being spent on Walkman headphones and Billy Joel tapes.  The dude had so many, and I had to have them all!

Anyways, one of my favorite albums for a while was "River of Dreams", and it had this song:


Oh great!  I finally start to get back into a blogging rhythm (four posts in the same calendar week!) and then I go and destroy what little readership I had by posting a Billy Joel song!

Well, I guess we can't help what we like.  As cringe-worthy as it is in hindsight (though Billy had plenty of hits that are still good to my 30 year old ears), the dude was a big part of my childhood, though you might not know it looking at my most recent songs played on my iTunes library (the last three artists were Mos Def, Tsunami Bomb, and Weezer).

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANYWAYS… where was I going with this?

Oh yeah, baseball cards.

The card pictured above is one of my all time faves, and since I have so many copies of it, it's also my "wallet card" for this year (need to start taking it out once in a while).  But, it's not like the rest of the dupes in my box.  Can you tell the minor variation by looking at one of it's cousins side by side?

If you can't tell (and in hand, it's only barely noticeable), the one on the left is the "gold hologram" card.  According to baseballcardpedia.org, factory sets of 1992 Upper Deck had gold holograms logos on the back, as opposed to the cards that came in packs, which were a regular silver hologram.  So the only difference between these two cards isn't much, but it's just enough to justify having them both.

Archi seems confused by this logic.  He can't see it.  Well look down Archi!  There's another one of those gold holograms on the card on the left!  Here's the lowdown on these, once again, the info comes from baseballcardpedia.com:

Randomly inserted into each 15-set case of 1993 Upper Deck factory sets, is one set where all 840 base cards have been struck with a gold hologram on the back. There is no way of identifying which sets have the gold holograms without opening the seal on the set.

For a guy who didn't make it into too many sets, my Cianfrocco collection keeps growing and growing.

Speaking of variations, here's another one.  The scan came out a little wonky, but these cards are all very rectangular in shape.  On the right is the regular card.  The middle card has the East Coast National stamp, and the larger card on the left is the "proof" card with the East Coast National stamp.

A year ago, I didn't know that there were any variations from the 1992 Stadium Club set, and now I have two of them.  Pretty weird.

Who knows how many I'll have next year?

Current Archi Cianfrocco card count: 81 cards

2 comments:

  1. Billy Joel rules! For me... it was my brothers who introduced me to Journey and Boston. And my sister and mom listened to Billy Joel. My dad? He was more of a Lawrence Welk kind of guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those gold hologram's are such an annoyance. Once I know they exists, I can't stop myself from tracking them down, but it's such a trivial variation it looks like duplicate in my binder of unique Wallach cards.

    ReplyDelete