A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, May 18, 2015

The Gwynn's of 1995, pt. 2

So, yesterday I posted a list of "The Gwynn's of 1995".  It was meant to look at the base cards of the five major brands of '95 and rank them.

Only one person commented (thanks Fuji!), and mentioned that he wasn't really into the brands that I mentioned (Donruss, Fleer, Score, Topps, Upper Deck).  And to be honest, I can't say I blame him.  Remember the 90s?  There were SO many brands!  It was awesome.

So, here's the second installment of the "Gwynns of '95", this time with an offshoot of each of the five main brands.  Like last time, I ranked them in order of awesomeness.

#5 - 1995 Collector's Choice (no. 160)
Collector's Choice was about as affordable as it got for young collector's like me, and I always considered it a pretty solid set.  Big checklist, decent design, some cool parallels, etc.  The shot of Tony is about as good as it gets, and deserves better than the number five slot, but I'm not crazy about the placement of the logos and the the name plate doesn't do a  whole lot for me.  Still, a very solid Gwynn card.

#4 - 1995 E*Motion (no. 187)
I went back and forth between this one and the Collector's Choice.  I prefer the CC photo, but the design of E*Motion is more unique.  Sometimes, I think they had to stretch it a bit to find an adjective to describe the player shown, but Tony was definitely a scholar of the game, so they hit it right on the nose here.  He was one of the first to really study film to scout other pitchers and himself.  The gold background looks good as well.

#3 - 1995 Leaf (no. 299)
Man, the rainbow foil looks great on this one.  Easily the best use of foil of any of these five cards (they all have it).  Man, the photo selection of these is all great, and it's hard to top a shot of the green Wrigley ivy.

#2 - 1995 Pinnacle (no. 93)
I don't think this is the best use of the multiple exposure shots, but I'm still a sucker for these, so this scored pretty high for me.  Not really my favorite Pinnacle release (that'd be their '92 set, or some of their offshoot Pinnacle brands like Zenith or Inside), but I've seen worse designs.  They sure liked that gold foil at the bottom, though I might've preferred more info than just "GWYNN".  But I'm getting nitpick, I love this photo.

#1 - Stadium Club (no. 475)
Alright, if I loved the last photo, I don't know how to describe my feelings for this one.  I love love it?  First of all, I love any shot that gets even a semi-decent view of good old Jack Murphy Stadium (though this isn't shown in great detail), but uh… hello?  Big giant bat anyone?  I've always assumed that this was some kind of award for himself, but I guess he's sitting on a bench, so maybe he's applauding whoever is about to join him.  Oh Stadium Club, you were always my favorite.

Well, there you have it, round of Gwynn cards form 1995.  I wasn't planning on spending multiple posts on cards from the same year, but that's what I'll be doing tomorrow as well, though I'll be looking at some "fancier" brands/inserts, so tune in!  Have a great Monday!

1 comment:

  1. That '95 Stadium Club card is definitely one of my all-time favorite Gwynns. I've always had a fond appreciation for that full-bleed '95 Collector's Choice issue as well.

    ReplyDelete