A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

A Rule Breakin' GWYNNsday

Shortly after starting this blog (and beginning to be the recipient of trades and charity packages full of Padre cards), I created a rule for myself:

Never buy Tony Gwynn cards.

This wasn't because I wasn't a fan of Mr. Padre.  That would be ridiculous.  The reasoning behind the rule, was that everybody sends me Gwynn cards.  EV-ER-Y-BO-DY.  So why buy something that I could get for free later on?  No reason to stock up on duplicates, I'll just wait for them to come to me.

Well, now that I've crossed the 600 card threshold (and my pace of trade-completing and blog-posting has slowed to a snail's pace), it's getting harder and harder to get those Gwynn's from you wonderful people.  Seriously, of those 600+, I'd be surprised if less than 80% came from the card collecting community (if that's not reason enough to start a blog, even one as crappy as mine, then I don't know what is).

Anyways, so yeah, I've changed the rule.  Gwynn's are in.  I figure since I've trimmed down my player collections so much, it's only fair.  It's just Tony, Archi Cianfrocco, and Jerry Coleman.  And Archi and Jerry don't have many cards to chase down.

So, here is a recent eBay purchase, my first Gwynn pickup from there in a very long time, though for 49 cents (seriously, nobody else put a bid in), I'd be a fool to not snatch it up.

Star, man.  Who are these guys?  I've got a few other Star cards from the late 80s, but I have no idea where these were originally purchased or how they were packaged.  They seemed to focus on specific players rather than specific teams or covering the whole league.  My affinity for '91 Fleer is well documented, so of course I dig the bright yellow border, though the red Padres logo and font is a bit off putting.  But, with a minimalist design and a plain portrait photo, this is vintage oddball stuff.

Here's the back, which explains why the front says "Tony's Personal Data".  Not personal enough to include a home phone number, address, or social security number, but it does have the ages of his children and mentions the Hall of Champions in San Diego.  I've never been inside the Hall of Champions, but I've walked past it plenty of times while hanging out in Balboa Park, one of the most beautiful places in San Diego.

Most definitely put that pair of quarters to good use.  I guess some rules were made to be broken.

3 comments:

  1. I won't buy base Gwynns for the exact same reason you stated. But I'll still pick up autographs and memorabilia cards if they're priced right. As for inserts and oddballs... I'll pick those up too... if I find them in dime boxes or quarter bins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I was shaking my fist at the sky just then, if that wasn't obvious.

      Delete