A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Not 2015 Topps

Well, it's Thursday, and there's still no 2015 Topps in my neck of the woods.  There's about five times a year when I stop by the Walmart everyday until I can find some new packs of cards, and really, it's either a day early or about a week late.  Usually late.

I've seen most of the Padre cards on eBay, though, because I'm weak.  It'd be nice to be surprised by the design/pictures, etc, but the checklist is already online and it's so easy to check.  Thankfully, I have the blogosphere (and Twitter, to a lesser extent) to help me out with pictures and opinions, but until they make it to central Texas, I'll have to settle for "old" stuff.

I've been so lax in blogging this year that I'm falling behind and forgetting what I've picked up/received in packages, since I've just catalogued it and put it in binders.  With the addition of the baby, I find that I still have a decent amount of time, but hauling the scanner out of the garage is a little more of a pain than usual.

Here's a card from a set I hadn't heard of until I saw it on eBay.  "National Treasures"?  Didn't see any Nick Cage relic cards, but this one was pretty cool in my book.  Odrisamer Despaigne has the distinction of being able to rearrange the letters in his name to spell "San Diego Padres".  The only other card I have of him from 2014 is a minor league card (San Antonio Missions) and from a set called "Classics" (another Panini brand - thanks Tom O!).

Not only is it a fancy auto/jersey swatch combo of a relatively unknown pitcher who made his debut last year, but the most interesting thing about this card is the clear plastic that Odie signed his (last) name on.  Haven't seen that before, kind of a cool look.  

There are a few variations of the Odie auto/relic (bigger swatches w/patches), but this is a pretty cool looking card.  I don't own this one, as it's still a little out of my price range, but I'm kinda surprised that this is the first I've seen of the Padres camo uniforms on a relic card.  I really dig this.  Too bad Jesse Hahn isn't a Padre anymore, but Derek Norris is a good consolation prize.

This "old" card is much older than the other cards, but it is even better than those previous cards - it's of "Mr. Padre", and it wasn't bought - it was sent to me by my buddy Mark over at This Way To The Clubhouse…  He sent me a few others, but my wife re-arranged my card section of the garage to make room for baby stuff, so who knows where those are now.  I love this card though.  Thanks for thinking of me Mark!

To be honest, my interest in blogging has been lagging a little bit lately because I've been missing actual baseball so much.  That, coupled with the fact that the Padres look to be really interesting this year, I've been trolling the internet for baseball news.  Twitter has been my newsfeed, a virtual goldmine of baseball links and information, and it's so easy to do on my phone.  Still, I need to get back to more blogging - because I really enjoy it!


Thanks for reading.  Keep ripping those 2015 packs for me!  Go Padres!

4 comments:

  1. Sweet Gwynn! Mark is great at finding little gems like that.

    P. S. -- Finally got my hands on some 2015 Topps today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the clear sig and the camo swatch. Both are better than anything one might pull out of 2015 S1 in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a big purchase from National Treasures recently too, but it was a redemption. Some really nice stuff. That Hahn is crazy nice.

    ReplyDelete