A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, January 5, 2015

#WalletCard


This is not a picture of my wallet, because I am not in middle school.  I have a manly, black, leather wallet that I always have on me.  But it would be cool to have the Padres logo on my wallet.  It'd make more sense if it was brown, I guess.

Anyways, as many in the blogosphere are aware, Gavin over at Baseball Card Breakdown had the idea to have people keep a baseball card in their wallet to have with them when they go different places, and then to photograph that card in places you don't normally see card.  Which I guess would be anywhere outside, since I'm not in the practice of taking my cards for a walk.

I liked this idea enough to think about it for a few minutes, and then decided that I liked it.  The question now was, what card should I choose?  Probably a Padre, right?  Gavin chose a Tony Gwynn card, and that seems like a pretty good choice.  I have a ton of Andrew Cashner cards that would be great for the job.  I could go with something from Chrome that might hold up better in a wallet than a flimsy piece of cardboard, or maybe even a mini card, which might fit better (c'mon, it's just a wallet, not a purse).

In the end, I was influenced by my good buddy Chris over at View From The Skybox.  Chris has this habit of ripping open packs of cards and then showing each one on Twitter.  Sounds a little too time consuming for me, but I enjoy seeing what cards he's looking at in almost-real time.  Since I'm not always on Twitter (though my wife might say otherwise), he tags me whenever he comes across a particular player that he knows I love:


I've showed off my Archi Cianfrocco rookie cards before.  It's not like players from the 80's, where there were as few as 1-3 versions of rookie cards (Topps, Fleer, Donruss), in 1992, there were lots of sets that featured a young Archi Cianfrocco.  I have all the base cards, including a few parallels and inserts, from Topps, Fleer, Ultra, Pinnacle, Score, Stadium Club, Donruss, Upper Deck and Leaf.

I've never really given much of a though to Archi's Upper Deck rookie card.  Probably because I love '92 Pinnacle so much, plus, when I think of early 90's Upper Deck (or really, when I think of Upper Deck at all), I think of the '93 set, which is still an all-time favorite.  But when it was brought to my attention by Chris, I thought, "Man, that is a pretty awesome card.  Clear photo, that killer now-extinct Expos uniform, the fancy "Diamond Debuts" insignia, and it's all tied together with a shot of a relaxed Cianfrocco casually blowing a bubble while on the bench?"

Man, that is a great card to have on you at all times.

I'm not sure how often I'll post shots of Archi while I'm out and about.  Lord knows it was kind of hard to find a place on this Redbox to put it so I could hold my phone still enough to take a shot.  If there had been anyone in line behind me, I probably would've just kept it in my wallet.  But whenever I get the idea to, I know that Archi will be there, casually waiting.  Just kinda hanging out.

Oh, I got Guardians of the Galaxy.  Actually got it twice because I got the Blu-Ray without realizing it, so I had to go back and get it on regular DVD.  Thanks for distracting me, Archi.

4 comments:

  1. Nicely done! I took a shot of mine out and about this morning as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool.. looking forward to Archi's Adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. classic rookie card! I haven't seen it for years!

    ReplyDelete