A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Saturday, January 3, 2015

The 1st Delivery of 2015


What day is today?  January 3rd?  Time seems to have lost all meaning as I'm nearing the end of my two week break from school.  Normally, these are hectic times, as we're usually returning from long trips to visit family or we're trying to squeeze in as many activities for the kids as we can before I go back to work.  But since everybody in our family has been sick/injured/recovering in the last two weeks, coupled with a second stint of car problems with our main family car, we've been lying low and staying close to home.

I've cut back a lot on card purchases recently.  Not down to zero, but to an appropriate amount, especially since there's nothing new out and money is being spent elsewhere.  I'm still waiting for the penultimate card to my Chris Denorfia 2014 Topps rainbow to arrive, but in the meantime, I had a few cheap gems find their way to my collection, the first deliveries of 2015.

(One of the other things that I did at the end of 2014 was upgrade my iPhone.  Whereas my old one had a busted camera, the new one works great.  If I'm not feeling up to breaking out the printer/scanner out of the garage, I'll snap a few pics with my phone, like I did today.  Tradeoff in photo quality v. posting more often.)

GOOSE!  I've had this one on my want list for a while, hoping that some kind soul would happen to have a duplicate of Gossage's rookie card, or would find one cheap at a show or something.  No dice, and understandably so.  This one was had for only two bucks, free shipping, the tradeoff being that it is badly miscut.  How badly?  You might not be able to tell from the photo, but you can see a tiny sliver of the card that was next to it on the sheet.  I could've gotten a nicer copy for a few bucks more, but I'm not a stickler for things like that.  I've spent more money on Peanut M&M's from the gas station than this card, so scoring this beauty without dipping into my M&M stash is a win.  Looking at the back, I didn't realize that Richard Michael started his career in 1972.  Good to know that this clean shaven guy was a "fine fielding pitcher".  Love seeing those red White Sox uniforms.  My Padres have undergone plenty of uniform changes in a shorter period of time, but the Southsiders had had their fair share of changes as well.

I'm not much of a "rookie card" collector, but I'll add this one to a few of the other sweet rookie cards in my collection, including Tony Gwynn ('83), Dave Winfield ('74), Ozzie Smith ('79), George Foster ('71), Derek Jeter ('93), Chipper Jones ('91), Cal Ripken Jr. ('82), and Rickey Henderson ('80). Oh, and a bunch of Archi Cianfrocco rookie cards.  Can't even put a price tag on those!

Of course, the more things change, the more things stay the same.  I also picked up a new Andrew Cashner card.  This is my fourth card from last year's Bowman Chrome set, and while I'm not hellbent on picking up all of the variations with the same zeal as I was with Topps, Gypsy Queen, Donruss, Topps Chrome, and Bowman, if it's cheap enough I'll spring for it.  I've seen this one referred to as a "bubble" variation, which sounds lamer than it looks, which is pretty slick.  Lots of color in here.  Not too shabby.

Here's the back.  Numbered 11/99, I kinda like the pair of palindrome numbers.  And it's even card number 66!  Fancy that.

Well, a quick post for today.  Hope the first Saturday of 2015 is treating you right.

4 comments:

  1. Great Goose pickup! I finally found a copy for my collection last year that was just as miscut as yours. Definitely one of my new favorite cards of the Goose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that Cashner card. Bubble variation? Huh... I'll have to see if I can find a Cub like that.
    The two weeks has been nice, hasn't it? I'm not really looking forward to going back on Monday, but before long spring break will be here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on, Backstop: great Gossage, and Cashner crushes it.

    Happy new year, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great couple of pickups. I had intended to get an extra Gossage RC for you at the last card show when it popped out of the bins, but selfishly decided to hang onto it since I collect him plus am working on completing 73 Topps. At least my guilt is eased knowing you eventually got one! :)

    ReplyDelete