A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

GWYNNsday Battle Royale: Part Deux


Well, the initial round of GWYNNsday Battle Royale wasn't a disaster, so I decided to give it a go for round two.  Last time, the Mother's Cookie card above advanced, though I had the Drake's or the Card Magazine oddball edging out the competition.  Shows what I know.

Today, it's a little more of the same thing.  A slight twist on today is that there are two cards today that also feature players who were on the Hall of Fame ballot that didn't get elected.  In my opinion, they should both be in, but I'm not the guy with the vote.

I didn't scan the backs this time, but the fronts, mostly because I thought they were a little more noteworthy in the first post, and this time I didn't think it was as important.

1995 Collector's Choice "Stat Leaders AVG." #2 (w/Edgar Martinez)
Seriously, Edgar Martinez is the best designated hitter in the history of MLB.  If you're the best at what you do, you should be in the Hall of Fame.

1988 Fleer "National League Batting Champs" #631
Tim Raines is the best base stealer not named Rickey Henderson.  If the only person better than you is a sure fire first ballot Hall of Famer, you should be in the Hall of Fame too.

1991 MooTown Snackers #6
I've heard a lot of collectors fuss over cards that Panini is putting out that aren't licensed (and therefore don't have logos), but this is a great card in my eyes, and not having a logo on it only gives it more character.

1999 Stadium Club #126
Easily one of the best shots of a fielding Tony Gwynn in my collection, which is saying something for a guy who won five Gold Gloves, albeit earlier in his career.

1992 Fleer Ultra Tony Gwynn Commemorative Set #2 
Two other cards have Tony in the brown uniform, but this is the only one that has the brown and yellow.  Goodness, that is a mighty fine looking shot of Mr. Padre.

Just like last week, you can vote in the poll on the sidebar.  If you're like me, it's hard to see it, so you might have to click and drag over the words to be able to see it.  To make it (maybe?) a little more interesting, I'll count any the comments as votes and the poll as separate votes, so you can actually vote twice (if you comment and vote in the poll).

Vote early and vote often, right?

3 comments:

  1. I like the '99 Ultra in this group. The Mother's Cookies card will be hard to top as the contest advances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with you on both Raines and Martinez

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was very close to picking that particular 1992 Fleer Ultra card for my Wallet Card, so I guess I'll vote for that, though these are all pretty great.

    ReplyDelete