A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

'Tis The Season. Again.

Man, I remember as a kid that it seemed like Christmas would never come.  Months and months of endless waiting, each day dragging on slower and slower.  As an adult, however, it seems to be quite the opposite.  Everything has been going so fast that I can hardly believe that Christmas is this week.

If I was the type that sent out Christmas cards to family and friends, I'd probably be too late to send them out and have them arrive before Christmas.  I'm not that kinda guy.  But if I was, I hope that I'd send out cards like this one I got from Gavin over at Baseball Card Breakdown.

I'm pretty sure this was painted at the San Diego Zoo.  

Not only did he send that rad card, he also included some baseball cards inside of it.

I love me some George Foster cards.  I guess I prefer vintage, but this still looks killer.  I really need to beef up my Foster collection.  I also wasn't a big fan of this year's Donruss base cards, but this is a great shot of Jedd Gyorko, who looks like he'll be the lone remaining Padre position player after AJ Preller has remade San Diego's offense.  Really like the brick wall behind Jedd.  That's Wrigley, right?  Any other stadiums that have that?  

As much as I like those two cards, they didn't really compare to the third card he added to the mix:

This is a Bob Foster 1/1 sketch card.  If you couldn't tell, Foster is a boxer.  Have you heard of him?  I sure hadn't.  Fortunately, along with a spiffy glow in the dark sketch, there was a very informative back of the card:

The amount of detail that Gavin put into this is impressive, to say the least.  If you didn't read his post about these cards, he bought some cheap autographs signed on index cards and turned them into sketch cards.  They are also glow in the dark, because that's awesome.  My favorite  part of the write up is that "This is the only card of this person using this image that I, the artist, will ever create; Promise!"  Wouldn't it be nice to get that promise from Topps?

Not only did I get a card from Gav, I also got one from my buddy Duff, from Bleedin' Brown and Gold.  While the front of his Christmas card was beautiful, the inside was even nicer:

I wish I got more Christmas cards that had autographed Archi Cianfrocco cards inside of them!  I think what I love most about the autographed Foster card and the signed Archi card is that they were very personal.  Sure, as a Padre fan, I'd love any autographed Padre card.  But a card of Archi?  That's pretty special.  I'm sure it only set Duff back a few bucks, but he knew that I'd love it.  It's one thing to have a few extra dupes laying around to send to a friend (no problems with this at all), but going out of your way for something like this?  Pretty cool.  The same goes with the Foster card.  It'll be the only 1/1 I have in my Foster collection.

That's not to say that there's no place in my collection for "the hits".  The third envelope that came in the past few days was from Bert at Swing And A Pop Up.  To be honest, I can't remember if his came with a Christmas card or not, but I was a little distracted by some swatches and a patch.

I am not a fan of the Gypsy Queen sets.  The base design just doesn't do it for me.  The relic cards, however, look great.  I'm a sucker for black bordered cards, and that's a pretty cool shot of Carlos Quentin.  Too bad the jersey doesn't match the swatch on this one.  The Jake Peavy swatch is a little too red to be one of the many variations of Padre jerseys, but then I saw the All-Star logo and heading, and I realized it was from a different jersey.  While I'm not a big Adrian Gonzalez fan, but how can you not love that brown and gold friar logo?  I can't resist it.

I've been slow on the trading front lately - hard to spend money on shipping out cards when I've got presents to buy for Harper and Foster, not to mention another one on the way.  But it's pretty cool to have friends send me these during this holiday season.  Y'all are the best.

3 comments:

  1. Never heard of Mr. Foster... but that sketch card is awesome! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember watching B. Foster box many times. He was a great light Heavyweight
    . Nice auto of Archi

    ReplyDelete