A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Friday, December 19, 2014

Raise Your Hand If You Used To Be A Padre

Don't you hate how fans of other teams get excited about all the great deals they are making to improve their team, while the GM of your favorite team does nothing?  Doesn't all that joy about baseball in the middle of December make you want to hurl?  Aren't those people annoying?

Well guess what?  I'm one of them now.  In an unexpected turn of events, the Padres, who had one of the worst offenses in baseball last year, have been adding bats!  The new general manager, AJ Preller, has started shipping off prospects to pick up a former Rookie of the Year (Wil Myers), a perennial MVP candidate from a division rival (Matt Kemp), and an All-Star catcher (Derek Norris).

They've also added players like Tim Federowicz, Ryan Hanigan, Seth Streich, Clint Barmes, Brandon Morrow, Jose Castillo, and Gerardo Reyes.  To do so, they've gotten rid of:

Yasmani Grandal
Zach Eflin
Joe Wieland
Trea Turner
Joe Ross
Burch Smith
Jake Bauers
Rene Rivera
Jesse Hahn
RJ Alvarez

I might've missed some in there.  Been a busy offseason.

Anyways, seeing as how I am pretty scarce in the non-Padre section of my binder, the only "new" Padre that I have a card of is this one:

This is from the 2013 Topps Update Mini inserts.  The only reason I have it is because I completed the set.  I guess it won't be too hard to imagine Myers in a Padre uniform - the Padres and Rays are pretty similar looking with their bluish hues, though I think they are (slightly) more interesting than my good old Padres.  I love that Myers doesn't wear batting gloves.  Very old school.  Need to work on getting that kid a second "L" in his last name.  Seriously, what's up with that?

Anyways, this kind of excitement is pretty foreign to me, so I'l work on containing myself.

Happy Friday!  Christmas Break starts today!

EDIT: If you haven't voted for the GWYNNsday Battle Royale, go ahead and do it! 

4 comments:

  1. You also forgot about Matt Kemp. Who I can wait to see what he does in Petco Park.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The NL West race should be pretty fun in 2015. It's an odd number year so it'll probably be just between the Dodgers and Padres.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to see the Padres finally step up to the plate. Hopefully they can find their way back into the postseason in 2015.

    ReplyDelete