A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, December 1, 2014

New Denorfia's

I don't make custom cards.  I don't really know what kind of software you need to have, but down the road, I'd like to look into it.  I think making customs of '91 Fleer would be pretty easy, and I'd like that.

But Johnny, the author of Cards From the Quarry, can make custom cards.  He does it at a pretty regular clip.  For the past few years, he's made them at the end of every season, and I always get a kick out of seeing his work.  I've been really impressed by what he's been doing this year, and even though he hasn't gotten to the Padres yet (he's going team by team), he did get to one of my favorite players:

I'm not sure that I'll see a better shot in a Chris Denorfia card.  Ever.  Man, that looks good.

If you haven't checked it out yet, you should.  I'll post a few of the cards that he does for the Padres, when he eventually gets to them, but follow him if you aren't already doing so, so you don't need the reminder.

Speaking of Deno, I mentioned that I failed miserably in my attempt to go a whole month without buying cards.  There were two cards that were too awesome to pass up.  I'll show the other one later, but here's the first one.

This is my second "clear" parallel from this year's Topps set (the first being Andrew Cashner), and these are pretty cool cards.  Aside from looking cool, they are also hard to track down, seeing as how they are numbered out of ten, so I was glad to find this one at a reasonable price.  This is my sixth card for the Denorfia rainbow, and all I need is the pink (#/50), red (from Target), and… the base card.

Like I said, I failed in my quest to go card-free for a month, but it was a good thing to try.  Cutting down on purchases has been a good indicator that I can trim some of the fat off of my collection, and I've begun a purge that has netted me a good chunk of cards to pass out to my students, as well as a few that I might try to sell on eBay.

I mean, if I can sell cards and then use the money to buy new cards, then it's not really spending money, right?  Right?

5 comments:

  1. Didn't know the Clear parallel cards existed. Nice Denorfia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to get one of those clear cards, but they are hard to find (at reasonable prices).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have the base out for you tomorrow. I'll check on the Target as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate the kind words as always. Believe it or not, I don't use any special software for making my customs. The only software I use is MSPaint. It's fun to do, but very time consuming. That's why my sets usually take about 6 months to put together. Photoshop is quicker and probably simpler to use, but I don't think it looks as nice. My credo has always been if you are going to do it, don't half-ass it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I mean, if I can sell cards and then use the money to buy new cards, then it's not really spending money, right? Right?" I sure hope so, otherwise I've been breaking the bank!

    ReplyDelete