A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

More Cash

For those of you who have been following this blog for a while, it won't surprise you that my quest for a month of zero card purchases came to a halt when I couldn't pass up.  I posted that card yesterday.  If you were betting money, however, the safe bet would've been on an Andrew Cashner card.

Well, you would've lost that bet, but only because I found the Cashner card a few days later.  I'll show it in a bit.

If you haven't seen Andrew's base card from this year's Gypsy Queen, it looks like this:

Not too shabby, but nothing to write home about, I guess.  I mean, it is still Gypsy Queen, and it's not high on my list as it might be on other collector's.

I also have a slew of minis from the same set.  All of them besides the base card mini on the right are serial numbered on the back, so I guess that makes these kinda cool, but nothing earth shattering or anything.

I figured that these would be all of the Cashner Gypsy Queen cards I'd be picking up, seeing as how the rest of them were either way too hard to come by or super expensive, but then this one popped up:

The printing plate!  Man, I am a sucker for these things.  They are rarely in my price range, and this one was actually more than the self imposed ceiling that I've set for myself, but it also had a "make an offer" option on it, and after writing a nice note to the seller along with the offer, it was mine.  (Editors note: This blogger recommends writing nice notes when doing the "make an offer", since my success rate is pretty high - I think I'm four for five).

The sticker on the back is a little off center, but I love finding the black printing plates, those are always the easiest ones to see (sorry yellow printing plates, but you're a little less cool).

Adding to my Cashner collection is making me a little nervous right now, since there's been a lot of talk about the Padres trading some guys from their starting rotation to find some guys that can actually hit the ball, and Cashner and Tyson Ross seem to be the pitchers that most teams want.  Ian Kennedy has the highest likelihood of begin dealt, since he is a free agent after next season and he's not likely to sign an extension (he's a Scott Boras client), but to really get a good return, they might have to part with Cashner or Ross.  I'd rather see Ross go (out of the two), because I think that Cashner has the higher ceiling, though there are injury concerns.  I'm really hoping that the Padres hold onto Cashner.

Other than Cashner, however, there are very few Padres who I care to see back next season, and most of them are pitchers (Odrisamer Despaigne, Jesse Hahn, Nick Vincent, Kevin Quackenbush, and Dale Thayer, with Alexi Amarista, Cory Spangenberg, and Yangervis Solarte being the only three position players).

Hopefully Padres GM AJ Preller will run any potential transactions through me first.

1 comment:

  1. If ever there was a player that screamed, 'Give me a nickname,' it is Odrisamer Despaigne (or Yangervis Solarte for that matter). I think Odie would be too simple. Perhaps we could go with something like "Cuban Pete." Chick-chicky-boom chick-chicky-boom chick-chicky-boom

    ReplyDelete