A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Mission: Accomplished

As we draw nearer to the end of the year, I've been thinking about a few card-related things.  First, about my "Cards of the Year" countdown.  I finished the scans and have everything in order, now I just need to add the words.  Hoping to have that up soon, though it probably won't be until a few days before Christmas.  Secondly, I've been thinking about the goals that I set for myself last year.  Spoiler alert: It's not looking great.  However, when the postman came by yesterday, I found that I had realized the third of my five goals (more on the successes and disappointments in a later post).

The goal in question was to complete a whole page (nine cards) of vintage Jerry Coleman cards.  This is not counting any of the retro-style sets that honor The Colonel, nor the card from his managing days in 1980 (that can't be vintage, right?)

Well, after starting off the year with six, I'm finally up to a nice… uh, "even" nine.  

This is Jerry's 1950 Bowman card.  It is the oldest card of my Coleman collection, and the oldest card I own overall.  The creases seem very noticeable in the scan, but are harder to see with a casual glance.  The main "flaw" (if you can say that there is anything flawed about it) is the cut off edges around the corners.  They're not frayed by time, but most likely a pair of scissors did the dirty work.  This is a smaller, more squared card than most of the Coleman's that I have.  

To be honest, I couldn't care less - this card cost less than two dollars, shipped.

Less than two dollars?  For a vintage Jerry Coleman card that is the oldest card in my collection?  How can I ever justify buying a card for more than two dollars ever again?  How can I ever rip a pack knowing that the (most likely) disappointing contents therein will never live up to this card that I procured from a seller for a fraction of that price?

Anyways, I'll resolve my issues with card prices later, and instead of looking a gift horse in the mouth, will gladly accept this generous offering from the gods of cardboard.  A vintage card of a childhood hero?  I'll take that any day of the week.  You can keep the change.  And your pointed edges.

4 comments:

  1. This is the best. Congrats on the pickup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great find! Can't go wrong with early Bowman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome card! Congrats on the great deal.

    ReplyDelete