A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Padres. Just Padres.

Is there a certain time of year when a lot of new blogs start?  Kind of like "wedding season" in the spring, or… um… dove season in the fall?

I had to google some stuff for that last one.  I chose dove because I once listened to a sports radio host talk for ten minutes about dove hunting and how to prepare dove.  I had never heard of that before.  God bless Texas.

Anyways, the reason I asked is that I happened to get back into card collecting around this time in 2011.  While I wouldn't start this blog until after the first few weeks of the 2012 season, something about the end of the 2011 season got me interested again in baseball cards.  

This year, it seems like I've found a few new-to-me blogs around the same time.  One of them is Catching Up With Collecting, authored by a fellow Texan named Jared.  As the title might imply, Jared is getting back into the collecting hobby, and after emailing him, it appeared that he had a few new and old Padre cards to send my way.

Even though it's getting harder and harder to find good Padre cards that I don't already have, there were definitely some gems he sent down my way.

A Tony Gwynn that I didn't already have!  And a pretty recent one, at that!  Cards labeled "Hometown Heroes" were built for players like Gwynn.  Even though he wasn't born in San Diego, he attended college at San Diego State, stayed with the Padres for longer than any other star has, and coached SDSU after he retired.  What a great guy.

Speaking of stars, here's one of the first big stars in Padre history.  This one left as soon as he could for a bigger market and more money, but it worked out pretty well for him in the end.  I can't say that I'm a big Winfield fan by any stretch, but he's got some great cards, including this one, and I can't turn them down.

That a Padre not named Tony Gwynn has ever won a major award or led the league in something positive, almost seems beyond my comprehension.  But here's the proof: Dave Winfield led the NL in RBI in 1979.  And there's Don Baylor!  Kind of forget that he wasn't always a manager, he was also a player, and must've been a pretty good hitter, at least at some point.

Were it not for the few cards that fit into my Gwynn/Finley player collections, these two would've been my favorite cards of the package.  I love Oliver Perez' socks too much to ever pass up on his cards.  Adys Portillo reminds me of Chicago, because one of the cool places to eat was Portillo's.  I personally think that Johny's Red Hots have a better dog than them, but it's been a while.  But yeah, Portillo's card is green and serial numbered, so that's pretty cool.

Peter Tucci never played in the big leagues, but this card is still pretty cool.  Skybox has an imprint-y type stamp, and I kinda dig it when cards have something unique about their textures.  Pete was drafted in the 1st round by the Blue Jays in '96, but never made it past AA with the Padres and Mets organizations.  

The card I got most excited about was this one.  Sure, finding a new-to-me Gwynn is always rad, but my Gwynn collection is already pretty large.  My Steve Finley collection could definitely stand to be larger - he's currently third in the player collection standings behind Gwynn and Darin Erstad.  Topps Gold Label actually seems like a pretty cool set, though it was probably pretty high end in 1998.  I prefer this to the look of the higher end sets nowadays.  Plus, those are harder to come by in trade packages.  And when was the last time there were two pictures of the same player on a base card?  Seems like it's been a while.

Thanks a bunch for the trade Jared!  Always happy to take any unwanted Padres off your hands!

1 comment:

  1. Jared's a great trader! "Then and Now" insert set was the first set of anything I ever put together. I still love those cards.

    ReplyDelete