A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Woodgrain GWYNNsday

If you watched the third game of the World Series, not only were you treated to a Royals win, but you also saw a tribute to Tony Gwynn, who passed away earlier this year.  While it has only been a few months, it seems like a lot longer to me.  Even though he had been out of the public eye for a while, knowing that he's gone still brings up some feelings.

Anyways, as I was digging through my Rad binder, I came across my few pages of relic cards, and I realized that I had a decent amount of Gwynn jersey relics.  I can't remember how many I have, but I think it's like four or maybe five (EDIT: It's four).

However, when it comes to relic cards, I prefer bat chips to jersey swatches, and not having a bat card of one of the best hitters of my youth who played for my team started to gnaw at me.  Gwynn autos have been selling at a premium since his death (vultures!), but I wasn't sure if bat relics had a similar going rate.

Well, this one was had for a very reasonable price, five bucks and change, shipped.  Can't say that I'm a fan of Gypsy Queen's design, and I'd prefer a younger Gwynn to a gray-in-the-goatee Gwynn, but beggars can't be choosers.  

This brings me to a total of five bat relic cards, and barring any unseen surges in productivity, my only bat relic of a Hall of Famer (no offense to Martin Prado, Cameron Maybin, Yonder Alonso, or George Foster).

God bless ya Tony.  We will always love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment