A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Updates!


Well, I finally tracked down some Topps Update here in my corner of central Texas.  Does it sound weird to call it a "corner" if I live right smack dab in the middle of the state?  Maybe.  Poor word choice isn't a great way to start off a blog post I guess, but we'll press on.

After checking a few days in a row at the Walmart in town (and having no luck - as of this post they still don't have any), I happened to be near a Target a few towns over and stopped in to check what they had.  BINGO!  I was in business.

I know that Update is pretty much the exact same release as Series 1 & 2, but hey, it's a new checklist, and the idea of seeing guys in new uniforms is appealing to me.  Rookies cards?  I dunno, not big on my list of wants, but I'm sure that there's somebody who's happy to see Marcus Stroman's rookie card.  Me, I'll be adding it to the binders because there need to be more guys in the majors named Marcus.

With any purchase of cards, my main goal is to acquire as many Padres as possible.  Buying packs is the least effective way to do this, and this venture was no exception.  In fact, there would be no players in Padre uniforms at all.  Bummer.  However, I did pull this Kyle Blanks card, which is equal parts awesome and sad.  Awesome because, hey, it's Kyle Blanks, "The 88 Train" as he was known among Padre diehards.  And awesome because it was his first card in his new A's uniform.  Sad, however, because it reminded me of how much I liked him as a Padre and I kinda miss the guy.

Oh, and I felt like adding this card of Adrian Nieto because I'm a big fan of those White Sox uniforms.  I have a few others featuring those from this year's Topps set, I need to see how many there are and get the rest of them.  Spectacular.

If anybody ever opens a pack of Update without pulling an All Star card, let me know.  I'm pretty sure it's impossible.  While I think that they go a little overboard with the All Stars they include, I have a hard time saying no to the major names being added to the list, like Mike Trout, Jose Abreu, and… wait… Tyson Ross?  A guy who didn't even play in the All Star Game?

Well, I can't say that I wasn't pleased to see that he made the cut, though maybe a little odd since he didn't pitch at all.  Probably would've preferred seeing another Padre on the checklist who is still waiting for their first shot at a Topps card (Nick Vincent, Jesse Hahn, Odrisamer Despaigne, Kevin Quackenbush, Alex Torres, Dale Thayer, Jake Goebbert, Chris Nelson, etc.), but that's a subject for a different blog post.  Oh, but my claim that there were no players in Padre uniforms is true - that's an All-Star uniform.

The Yoenis Cespedes trade was, for me, the most shocking of the trade deadline.  Didn't see that one coming, but thought that it was great to see the A's go all in on 2014.  Looking back now at how the acquisitions of Jeff Samardzija and Jon Lester panned out, I wonder if any of their fans have any regrets.

 Oh, I busted a hanger box of the stuff, and it seemed like for every parallel card I pulled, I also pulled the base card as well.  In this case, however, I pulled three versions of the same card.  Even though the first Yo card I posted showed him in his Red Sox uniform, this card shows him as an Athletic (shown on the side of the card).  Kinda weird that there is no team logo on the bottom, just the All Star logo.  Pretty sure that the most recent releases had both on them.

I only got one of those "red hot foil" cards.  This is what it looks like.  One of the reasons I grabbed a hanger box was because I wanted to see if they had the "hanger box" only parallels like Series 1 (yellow) and Series 2 (burnt orange) did.  They don't.

Here are some pretty boring inserts.  Maybe these would be less boring if they were Padres instead of whoever they have on here, but I doubt it.  Pretty uninspired designs, if you ask me, but I think Topps used all of it's creativity for the "SaberStars" inserts.   

Wait a second!  I kinda like these, even if there aren't any Padres.  Lots of different colors, no border, good photography.  Alright Topps, I'll give this one to ya.

While the lack of Padres was disappointing, I still came away with a few keepers.  The Blanks, Nieto, and Stroman cards are binder-worthy, while the rest are going into the trade box.  However, the best of the box was this Kurt Suzuki card.  I already am a fan of Suzuki for being a catcher and for going to Cal State Fullerton at the same time as me (I was a freshman, he was a senior, and I never even went to a game, but that's still something, right?).  But it's been a while since I've been able to add to my "kids on cards" mini collection.  While most of the ASG cards were pretty boring (lots of standing around, wearing ugly uniforms shots from what I've seen so far), this one definitely stood out.

Will I be picking more up?  I guess maybe another rack pack before I call it a day, but this comes pretty close to whetting my appetite for "new" Topps cards.  At the end of the day, I'm still not crazy about the design, and there are more efficient ways to get Padres.

Has anybody else found it near them?  Or are you still waiting?  Maybe you just dont care?  I've already picked up a few cheap parallels off eBay, but if anybody pulls any cards of Yangervis Solarte or Chris Denorfia, let me know.  Base cards of Padres are cool too, I plan on getting the small Padres team set via blogger/reader trades, as is usually the case.

10 comments:

  1. I am so disgusted with Topps checklists. I know names like Jesse Hahn, Odrisamer Despaigne, and Kevin Quackenbush don't sell sets like Yoenis Cespedes does, but these guys are good, young players. Heck, I was pleased as punch to stream Hahn and Despaigne on my fantasy teams this year and Quackenbush was good for a few saves for a couple of rounds. Three pretty solid rookies in my opinion that should receive a look from Topps.

    I think my biggest complaint is when the player has a rookie card and then they also have another card commemorating their big league debut. For example, Gregory Polanco (#'s 20 & 221), Masahiro Tanaka (#'s 25 & 200) and George Springer (#'s 10 & 210) don't need to have two cards in a 330 card set. I'd rather see a card of Hahn, Despaigne, and Quackenbush. ... and this coming from a Cub fan!

    I hope you pull a couple of friars if you go for a rack pack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they should wait longer to release. I'd love to see late August/Sept call ups included...Baez, Soler, etc.

      If Topps wants to show the All Stars so badly, they should release an All Stars set in October and save Update for Nov/Dec.

      Delete
    2. Update used to be released in November, they should still do that.

      Delete
  2. I've bought two hangers and a rack pack of Update so far. I'll probably just go to Just Commons to pick up the rest I need at this point.

    Haven't pulled that Suzuki yet, but it has to be a "Card of the Year" nominee once I get my hands on a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like that Suzuki card. The White Sox wore throwback caps at the All-Star game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the AL caps were red, and all the NL caps were blue? I think? I believe there were two different hats that they wore - one for batting practice and one for the actual game. Gotta sell that merch, huh?

      Delete
  4. From what I've heard Yoenis Cespedes being traded was inevitable. Apparently the A's had doubts about whether or not they'd be able to resign him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Update showed up at Target on Friday. I bought one of the $9.99 boxes. I went to Wal-Mart on Saturday and bought a $9.99 box there as well. Haven't opened either of them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ended up picking up a blaster the other day and got one of the power players as well. Surprisingly it's probably my favorite insert, well that and Fond Farewells.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know a blogger who'll give that shiny red card a happy home if you're willing to part with it...

    ReplyDelete