A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Trying To Finish Breakfast

Last week, I came across a post by Tom over at the Angels In Order (who also happens to be a fellow Texan, though I'll assume he's been here longer than my 4 plus years) in which he showed off every Kellogg's card of a California Angel that had been made.

I thought to myself, "Self, that is pretty rad.  You should do that too."

As I embarked upon my journey, I realized that, though these cards were decades old, the fact that I was in search of Padres made my task, well, much easier.  Of those on the "checklist", the only "big" names are Dave Winfield and Ozzie Smith, so this shouldn't be too hard to complete.  Right?

I started off with four in my collection:
1970 Ollie Brown
1971 Nate Colbert
1980 Dave Winfield
1983 Garry Templeton

By my count, there are 18 different cards, spanning from 1970 to 1983 (14 years).  I've made all of the "cheap" purchases I could find off eBay, which bring me to a total of 10, so I'm already halfway done with this mini project already.  Since I've already shown off the above four cards on the blog already, here are the recent additions to the Kellogg's collection.

1973 - Nate Colbert
While Ollie Brown was the first Padre on a Kellogg's card, but Nate Colbert was the Padres first star.  He still holds the Padres franchise lead for home runs, and unless Adrian Gonzalez rejoins the Padres at some point, I don't see that changing anytime soon.  Unlike most of the Kellogg's cards, this one is not 3-D.  Regardless, I still like the design, and those yellow and brown Padres uniforms are killer.

1977 - Dave Winfield & Randy Jones
If there is one issue with collecting the Kellogg's 3-D cards, it's the cracking that can occur.  While the little bit that has happened with the Randy Jones card on the right, the Dave Winfield card looks pretty mangled.  I'm not normally a stickler for condition, but if I found a cheap upgrade, I'd probably pick it up.  Of all of the designs of the cards in this post, this is the one that I like the most.  I really love that RJ card.

1979 - Gaylord Perry & Bill Almon
There were only a few years when the Padres had more than one card in a Kellogg's set.  While it makes it a little easier to get them all, it's kind of a bummer, though.  Here's a pretty good example of why it didn't happen very much.  Gaylord Perry was a stud, winning Cy Young Awards in the American and National Leagues, so his inclusion isn't surprising.  But Bill Almon?  36 homers in a 15 year… isn't great.  He had .252/.308/.309 slash line in '78, which was apparently enough to merit a card in 1979.  Did I mention that the Padres were bad for a really long time?

1981 - Dave Winfield
Look at all those stars!  Just in case you weren't aware, this set is for SUPER STARS.  I guess I wasn't aware that Winfield was a Padre when orange was introduced as a secondary uniform color.  Looks good.  This is the biggest Kellogg's card I have, which is just a standard baseball card size, while the rest vary.  Usually, they're the same height or slightly smaller, but are not as wide as a standard card.

Well, those are the ones that I have so far.  All that's left are:
1971 Cito Gaston
1972 Nate Colbert
1972 Dave Roberts
1974 Nate Colbert
1975 Johnny Grubb
1976 Randy Jones
1978 Dave Winfield
1982 Ozzie Smith

I found an eBay seller who has six of them that I could snag for nine bucks and change, including the combined shipping, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.  Trying to limit my card buying activity, and the beginning of a quest is an easy time to go nuts.  The only one that I haven't found a good price for is the '71 Cito Gaston.

Does anybody else have a collection of Kellogg's cards?  Of all the oddballs from the 70s/80s, they're easily my favorites.  Really wish that you could still get cards with your cereal.

Though I doubt there'd be any Padres.

4 comments:

  1. Can't go wrong with Kellogg's. These are all terrific, but I especially love that Perry.

    I buy Kellogg's cards wherever I can find 'em. They're in an eternal tie with Hostess for my favorite oddballs ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I buy cheap Kellogg's whenever I run across them, but the only show left anywhere close to me is geared a little towards higher-end collectors, so I don't run into the cheap stuff as much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool project. I considered doing the same thing with the A's and Padres. I bought a bunch off of Sportlots a while back. You might want to check there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. way to go, pull that trigger on those 6, and get it down to just the two remaining.

    ReplyDelete