A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Pop-Up GWYNNsday

Oh man, what a day.  I'm surprised that I even have time to throw together a last-minute GWYNNsday post.  School was pretty crazy today, and by the time I finally left, I felt like I had been put through a wringer.  My day was made considerably better by going to In-N-Out, which opened today in Killeen, a neighboring city.  It's still a dump and a place that I don't look to live near long term, but for now, it makes it a little more bearable.

It was awesome.

Coming home to the kids was great, they're the best (oh, and my wife too), and now they're finally in bed. 

Anyways, here's a pretty cool Gwynn card that I snagged of eBay for a whopping 75 cents with free shipping.  It actually took weeks to get this card, and I finally asked for a refund, which I got.  How did I come to actually get this card?  My wife had the envelope in her purse and forgot about it.  I've emailed the seller to re-fund his 75 cents, haven't heard back from him yet.

I know it's only a few quarters, but hey, when it can be turned into a rad card like this, it's worth my effort.  Plus, you know, integrity.

Alright!  Oddball Gwynn!  No logos!  Food release!

Finding an oddball Tony Gwynn card that I don't already have for under a buck is a steal.  But what I love most about this card is what I didn't even know about it until I got it...

When you bend it like this, there is a second card on the inside that pops up...

Until it sticks out of the card like this!  How cool is that?

I don't have any other cards from the '95 Kraft Singles Superstars set, but man, this seems like it'd be a cool oddball set to collect.  Keeping it in a binder seems a shame though, it'd look better on a shelf or a mantle or something.

Anybody else seen these?  Seems like almost two decades after the fact, I would've seen/heard of these before, but this is the first encounter I've had with them.

1 comment:

  1. Cool card. I've seen these before on someone's blog... but don't think I own any. I'll have to double check to see if I have one in the Gwynn binder. If I don't, I'll have to track one down.

    ReplyDelete