A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Three for Thursday

I'm a binder guy.  I like seeing the cards all laid out nicely on a page, and I like flipping through them quickly.  While I only have a handful of (very full) binders, I usually have a "favorite" binder, depending on my mood.

When my mind is on adding to my player collections, my Player Collection binder really interests me.  When I reorganized my Tony Gwynn binder, I couldn't get enough of it.  And for the really special cards (autographs, relics, rainbows, etc.) well, it's hard to put the Rad binder down.

However, if there's one I keep going back to, it's my Miscellaneous Padres binders.  I recently had to replace a binder that had almost completely fallen apart, so I've been spending some time with them lately.  At first, I was looking to trim the fat so I had some cards that I could pass out to my students.  I mean, I have stuff in the trade box that they would like as much as the next card, but my intent is to create Padres fans, so that's all I give them.

Anyways, while purging recently (which yielded about 20 cards from the 1,500 or so in both binders), I saw a few cards that I thought I'd toss up on this here blog.

Look!  A giant Andujar Cedeño is about to destroy Jack Murphy Stadium!!  Run for your lives!!!  Man, I really like Pinnacle.  I even liked the most recent set they put out last year, but haven't seen anything this year.  That is a bummer.  Oh yeah, and this reminds me that whenever I think of Cedeño, I think of how my dad would yell like the opening song of "The Lion King" whenever he batted: "AnduHARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Cedeñooooooooooooooooooo!"

\
I've seen a few collectors comment on hour the shadows look on cards sometimes (lots of cards are taken during day games for better light, but this is by far the best looking shadow card I've come across.    Kevin Brown was a beast.  Wasn't the cuddliest guy out there, but he could pitch.  His 1998 season was probably the best ever of a Padres pitcher.  I just checked, and I guess Tom Glavine won the Cy Young Award that year, and Brown came in third in the vote behind teammate Trevor Hoffman.  If you check out the numbers, I think you'll agree that Brown got jobbed.

I forgot what the front of this card looked like, but I'm pretty sure it's not as awesome as the back.  Decent amount of stats, I guess, but cool to see Trevor Hoffman do the old "balancing a ball while bouncing it on a bat" routine.  Glad I'm not the only one who did that/tried to do that.

If you've made it this far down, I might as well tell you that I sent a few packages out last week, but finally got around to mailing a bunch of PWEs out to a few fellow bloggers.  As far as I can tell, all the packages were sent out last week (except my buddy TTG, but I got that one out today too), but yesterday I sent envelopes to these zip codes:

95843, 35750, 40475, 50131, 97535, 13601, 16101, 19713, 02766, 61615, 15232, and 03801

I finally used up the stamps that we bought to send out our Thank You's to the people who got us wedding presents.  My wife and I have been married for over eight years.  I had to double up on the stamps (thanks a lot, inflation!), and then had to use some… uh, I don't know… "vanity stamps"?  My grandpa took a picture of my wife and I while I was wearing one of his "Texas rancher hats", and he put it onto a stamp.  So some of you will get envelopes with those on there.  That's what my wife and I looked like about six years ago, so, yeah.

5 comments:

  1. That year Kevin Brown was a beast. He should have won. Pitched more innings, better whip, and WAR. Glavine just played for a sexier team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mucho Thanks, Marcus. I got my package in the mail yesterday - no time to open it because we had a Wild preseason hockey game to get to. I have it put in a special place so I won't forget/lose it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd not yet seen the Cedeno or the Brown. Clearly both are "must have's" now.

    ReplyDelete