A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Sunday, September 21, 2014

That Guy

In the baseball card blogosphere, there are lots of blogs that would be easily classified as "team-related" blogs.  Obviously, this one here is heavily slanted towards the Padres.  I could easily burn a few lines of writing listing off the different blogs that I'd assign to the Dodgers, Diamondbacks, Cardinals, Brewers, Reds, Cubs, Pirates, Phillies, Mets, Braves, Angels, Astros, Rangers, White Sox, Indians, Royals, Tigers, Red Sox, Yankees, Orioles, Rays, and Blue Jays.

But there are much fewer blogs that I can think of that I'd assign to a specific player.

Darwin Barney makes me think of Wrigley Wax.
Andrew McCutchen makes me think of Pirates Treasure Room.
Joey Cora makes me think of From an Unlikely Source.
Willie McCovey makes me think of ARPsmith.

There are probably others.  Some (like Tim Wallach, Todd Helton, and Ken Griffey Jr.) bring to mind whole blogs that devote the overwhelming majority of their collection to those pacific players.

Of course, as a big Padres collector, I collect a wide variety of Padres, including Tony Gwynn, who I have over 500 cards of.

But there are many collectors who have more Gwynns than I, and I'd say that it'll be a while to get more than half of the Gwynns out there.  They are many.

However, when I think of my blog (is that a narcissistic thing to say?), I think of Andrew Cashner.

It seems like I can't go more than a week without a Cashner related post.  If it seems excessive, please understand that I agree with you.  It is probably getting out of hand.  But I keep on finding cards of his for pretty cheap, and I can't help myself.

Here's my most recent Cashner pickup.  This is only my third relic of Cashner, but the first in a Padre uniform.  While I'm not much of a "high end" collector (I can count on one hand the number of Triple Threads cards I own), this is pretty nice looking, with a decent sized jersey swatch paired with the serial number on the front.  Looking at the back, the fine print reads "the relic contained on this card is not from any specific game, event, or season".  Looking at the swatch, I'd wager that that blue is probably from his Cubs days.  Padre blue is much darker.

This came in the mail yesterday, to coincide with Cashner's beatdown of the San Francisco Giants.  He pitched 8 innings of scoreless ball and didn't give up any runs til the 9th, as the Padres held on for a 3-2 win.  Cashner went 2 for 2 at the plate with a walk, a triple, and a bunt single.  His triple was the first by a pitcher this year for all of Major League baseball.

When I visited my family over the summer, they all joked about the man crush that I had on Cashner, and to be honest, I couldn't really say anything to refute it.  Dude is the only guy on the Padres that I get excited to watch (though I'm a big fan of some of the Padres bullpen guys, namely Kevin Quackenbush and Nick Vincent).  He's got electric stuff and a personality that I can't help but love.

Cashner was included in this year's Topps Chrome set, so I've been scooping up a few of those cards as I've come across them.  Here are the six I've got so far.

Left to right, top to bottom, we have here the Xfractor, Refractor, purple border, blue refractor (#/199), black border (#/100), and sepia (#/75).  Love those sepia cards.  Wouldn't mind putting together the team set of those ones, except I don't want to add any cards of Everth Cabrera or Chase Headley to my collection for the time being.

Last night was the last Saturday night game at Petco Park of the season, and, in an attempt to make up for one of the worst seasons (on and off the field) in Padres history, the front office brought back the '84 brown uniforms.  Would've loved to have watched the game, but it was great spending time with my family - out to dinner and then to the drive in movie (even though it was Dolphin Tale 2, which was pretty bad).  Here's hoping that this is an image I'll get to see on a baseball card next year:


Eight more games left, which means that there should be one more start.  On Monday the Padres head to Los Angeles for a series before ending the season in San Francisco.  Here's hoping that he can stick it to the Giants one last time in 2014.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck on the Chrome rainbow! You're off to a good start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the first sepia chrome card I've seen. Pretty slick!

    ReplyDelete