A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Recycled GWYNNsday

Recycling.  Something that is good for the environment (c'mon now, don't just throw that stuff away!), but is much less of a positive thing when related to baseball cards.  For those not in the know, it is very common practice for Topps to reuse photos on multiple cards.  While it may save money (I guess the rights to printing pictures costs green), it makes for a lackluster cardboard experience that screams laziness.

That's why, when I saw Tony Gwynn's 2012 Allen & Ginter card, in all it's brown and gold glory, I was pleasantly surprised to see a photo that I didn't recognize - and a great one at that!

I loved it so much that I even declared it my Card of the Year in December 2012.  That it narrowly edged out a Cory Spangenberg card showed that I might've been more than a little biased in my choices, but I still stand by them.

Imagine my surprise, then, when I opened up a package a few weeks ago (Aaaugh!  I can't remember who it was from!  Sorry!  Claim it in the comments if you'd like proper credit!), and I found this gem:

Hey!  I recognize that guy!  This is from the 1985 Topps set, one of the "send in" offers.  I'd guess this photo was taken during a spring training warmup, judging by (what appear to be) the folding chairs in the stands.  I'll admit that getting the "Allen & Ginter" treatment makes this photo look a little more glamorous, but still a good looking card here.  Not sure I've ever seen thinner borders on a card.

Now that I've pointed this out, I'll have a bunch of comments saying the other cards that this photo has been used on.  Sorry, I can't believe you, this is the only physical evidence I have.  If you would like to prove your point to me, I can send you my address and you can send me said card(s).

1 comment: