A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, September 8, 2014

Music Monday - College Days


While I have a handful of Andrew Cashner cards from his days in Chicago (before he was traded to San Diego for Anthony Rizzo), I only have two from his college days - this one, and one that looks almost identical, but isn't a relic card.

Cash was a closer during his time with the Texas Christian University Horned Frogs, and he impressed the Cubs enough to be taken with the 19th overall pick in the 2008 amateur draft.

I'm not much of a TCU fan (as far as colleges go, I probably root for the Texas Longhorns more than the rest, though it's not saying much), although I did see them whip Boise State in the Poinsettia Bowl a few years back.  My first full time teaching position was in the small town of Florence Texas, where the elementary, middle, and high schools all shared the same mascot: the Buffaloes.  They also all had the same school colors, which were purple, so although I would've considered it to be my least favorite before working there, it grew on me.  It's also my daughter's favorite color, so having a purple swatch in the relic collection is kinda cool, and one that you don't usually see on a baseball card unless you're a Rockies fan.

Anyways, today's Music Monday comes from a question lobbed to Cashner at the beginning of the season (I read a Q&A recap on the fan site Gaslamp Ball, but wasn't able to find it to link to it).  He was asked what his intro music was when he pitched at TCU.  While it's not one that I'm a big fan of, I guess it makes sense for a country guy like Cashner.


The Q&A session also asked Cash about his favorite movie, which he said was "8 Seconds".  I'd never heard of it, but it turns out that it fits pretty well with the rest of his country-livin' ways.


Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment