A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Saturday, September 6, 2014

How Did I Never Know That This Card Existed?

If there's one thing that I… well, maybe "pride myself in" isn't the correct phrase, but if there's one thing that I really love about my collection, it's Padres cards from the early 90's.  I don't have all of them, but I've got quite a few of them, and being that I was a kid during that time, those were the Padres of my childhood.

Most of my online searches for cards, however, focus either on vintage, or on the newest, latest sets.  Very rarely do I ever splurge on some 90's cardboard, and when I do, it's gotta be pretty cheap.

Well, I can't remember what the search was, exactly, but there was a card recently that I saw that made me feel like…


Okay, maybe not quite as excited as my son would get as a baby, but I was pretty stoked, especially when it only set me back three quarters of a dollar:


Was the build up worth it?  Maybe you're feeling a little underwhelmed.  But as a kid in '93, Sheff & the Crime Dog were pretty big deals.  That fire sale would scar me for life, as those were two of my favorite players.

On to the card.  It's from '92 Topps Stadium Club, but says "Members Only" across the bottom, so maybe this is from the mail in type thing they had going on for a little bit.  Has anyone else seen these before?  They did have other "Member" themed inserts in the regular set, but the font on this one seems different than the ones that I've seen.  I can't think of any other cards from the regular set that were split horizontal like that.

Anyways, yeah, I was pretty happy about that card.  Eight year old me would've completely freaked out to get this one.  Seriously, if I had got it as a kid, it probably would've been one of my all time favorites.  As it stands now, it's still pretty cool.  While nostalgia for most Padre fans is the brown and yellow uniforms, for this Padre fan, it's the blue and orange on the hats Padres like Gary and Fred.

Don't get me wrong, I love the brown, and prefer it to the blue.  But this card is pretty awesome.  Having McGriff and Sheffield on the same team for more than a few years would've been pretty rad.

Oh well...

5 comments:

  1. Marcus, You I have tons of that 90s stuff. LMK what else you need/want from that era and i will see if I have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too was scarred for life... loved watching Sheffield and McGriff back in the day. As for the Members Only... I can't say for certain, but I know that in 1991 I was a member of the Topps Stadium Club. I paid $20... maybe $30 and they sent us sets of cards. I'm pretty sure these cards had a special Members Only stamp. This card may or may not be from one of those sets. Regardless... nice card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, the build up was worth it for sure. Especially for two cards I don't have but get to gawk at here on your blog.

    ReplyDelete