A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Friday, September 19, 2014

All The Klesko's


I recently sent my end of a trade to Ryan over at a new-to-me blog called Card Stacks. While I'm not really that discerning when it comes to card blogs (not like there's thousands of 'em or anything), I enjoy reading his takes on Orioles and Braves cards from the 90's (among other things).

Well, being a Braves fan during the 90's, he's a bit of a Ryan Klesko fan, and since I have a few Klesko's in my collection from his Padres days, I figured now would be as good a time to show 'em as ever.

I guess I'm doing a mini "countdown" showing all 12 cards, but listing my top three favorites.  My #3 is the one above.  Maybe if I knew more about baseball, I'd know what is up with that nun chuck bat, but whatever it's purpose for being, it makes for a pretty unique card.

Card number two also features a bat that seems out of place, but not because of what it looks like - because of where it is.  While I've seen a fair share of broken bats twirling and spinning towards fielders, I haven't seen many fly to first base that are still seemingly in tact.  Even better, it looks like Klesko's trying to catch it with his glove.  I don't see this ending particularly well.

Alright, I think I might've messed up on this countdown.  Maybe that last one was my favorite.  Still, as weird as a flying bat is in a card picture, how many cards show a player with a bag of fast food?  I feel like I'm watching some celebrity "They're just like us!" type article.  Any guesses on the chain?  I'd say Wendy's or Burger King, but I am wrong sometimes.

Alright, now that the short countdown is over, here are the rest of the twelve cards in the "K" is for Klesko section of the Miscellaneous Padres binder.  I really like the Heritage card in the bottom left corner, as well as the sideline/dugout shot above it.  The rest are mostly unique in that I really like Klesko's sideburns, so he made it in, or that they're rocking a camouflage jersey.

Well, there ya go.  Ryan Klesko, ladies and gentlemen.

4 comments:

  1. In the last bunch I like the top left Topps card. It looks like he just pulverized a ball and he is admiring his work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently got a second copy of that UD Victory Klesko from Daniel of the "It's Like Having My Own Card Shop" blog and he suggested it was a KFC bag, which looks right to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a Del Taco bag - the black spot is their 'open since 1964' logo.

    http://cs311223.vk.me/v311223029/1613/1laNg_WRZBQ.jpg

    ReplyDelete