A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, August 25, 2014

Music Monday: 1st Day of School

Quick post before I head out the door for the first day of school.

This is one of my newer Tony Gwynn cards, from this year's Donruss set.  For a set that pays homage to the 90's, I thought this looked really good.  It's numbered 622/999, though I couldn't find anything cool to tie that into.  The green border looks good, despite not working with the Padres colors, and I like refraction on the card (though it's not easy to see here).

Figured it'd be good to start the school year off with a card of the greatest Padre ever, and just like he was a dominator in the late 80's and 90's, I plan on dominating the school year.

In a good way.  Teaching well and stuff.

Anyways, this is a song that has been in my iTunes library ever since I heard that it was a favorite of Anthony Keith Gwynn's.  I've actually listened to it a lot and is a favorite with my kids as well.

Have a great day, especially if you or someone you know is going back to school!

Word Up by Cameo

3 comments:

  1. Nice Gwynn! Even without the logos some of these new Donruss cards look pretty sharp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, love that song. Didn't realize it was a Mr. Padre favorite. I remember SNL had some fun with it in a skit a while back. I think Duran Duran (or somebody?) did a cover of it in the early 90s which sounds pretty faithful, but more rockin'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For all you metalheads out there, Korn does a pretty cool version too.

    ReplyDelete