A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

GWYNNsday Everyday

I've maintained that the best Tony Gwynn cards are the ones that feature Mr. Padre with a bat.  Sure, there were plenty of other aspects of his game that were worth looking at (speed, especially in the 80s, and he won five Gold Glove awards), but, yeah, the dude was a beast with the bat.

Still, that's not to say that there's only one way to feature the greatest Padre of all time…

If you can name a set with better photography than 1993 Upper Deck, then either I have never heard of it, or you are a big fat liar.  The "On Deck" cards were especially sweet looking, and the fact that Tony is sitting in front of a bunch of empty seats seemed pretty appropriate based on the weak attendance of those early 90's Padres.

This card came to me from my buddy Mark at This Way To The Clubhouse.  He send over a team bag full of Padres goodness, and although I already had this one, it gave me a good reason to feature it for a GWYNNsday.  The only thing that I noticed after staring at it for a bit is that Tony's bill seems pretty flat for me.

While I'm at it, I'll show this one as well, which was Tony Gwynn card #555 in my collection.  Kind of a fun number, right?  Pretty shiny and Bowman-y, but it's got Gwynn and it looks like he just slapped a ball through the 5.5 hole, so you can't go wrong.

I wish I had saved the note that Mark left, but he said that everyday should be GWYNNsday, and that sounds pretty good to me.  The only way to make it better would be to move it towards the end of the week, but I guess it's a good way to break it up.

Two sweet looking Gwynn cards in one day?  Go and have a great GWYNNsday, I've done my part.

1 comment:

  1. That's definitely a sweet portrait of Gwynn, sitting in the stands.

    Card #555?! Congratulations! I've got to start counting and see where I'm at.

    Yeah, you did your part: definitely two sweet Gwynn's in one serving. Nice.

    ReplyDelete