A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Eight Years Ago...


When it comes to my card collection, it's interesting to me the eras that receive the heaviest focus.  Of course, being a child of the 90's, I love the so called "junk wax era".  Being a fan of the current team, I appreciate the newest sets, and everybody loves vintage, right?

While it seems like lots of years are covered under those "umbrellas", there are some gaps.  I'm not really a fan of early 80's stuff (though the Padres uniforms looked stellar), and some of the early 2000's sets don't really intrigue me.

Take 2006 for example.  Doesn't seem that long ago, right?  That's the year that, um… Justin Verlander and Hanley Ramirez won the Rookie of the Year honors for their respective years.  Haven't they been veterans forever at this point?

2006 was the year after the 2005 World Series Champion Chicago White Sox, uh, won the World Series, so we got to see cool cards like this of one of my all-time favorite non-Padres, Paul Konerko.  Speaking of Paulie, lost in the hoopla of Derek Jeter's Farewell Season, another "Captain" will be hanging it up this year.  It might surprise you that he has 439 career homers.  Definitely enters the "Hall of Very Good", probably falls into the Dale Murphy/Fred McGriff category of guys who just fall short of Cooperstown.

In 2006, future-Padre Chris Robinson was in his second full professional season in the minors, still seven years away from the major leagues, where he would would play in eight games and record two hits.

Even My Man Chris Denorfia was a rookie in '06.  A promising prospect for the Reds, he would leave after a season and a half in Cincinnati and have a stint with the A's before landing in San Diego in 2010, where he would get a chance to play (kind of) every day.  I haven't written my "Farewell" post to Deno, who was traded while I was driving my family to San Diego, but I'll get to it.

More important to me than anything baseball related, eight years ago today, I married my beautiful wife.  There are no baseball cards that I have commemorating this day, but here is the photo that we included in our wedding invitation, taken at Balboa Park in San Diego.

Eight years will change how you look.  My hair is thinner, the sideburns have become a beard, and I'm not as trim as I once was, but I am so blessed to still be able to call this woman my wife.  She is a great mother and an awesome person, and I wouldn't be anywhere good without her support.

While reading this blog isn't normally on her radar, I'd like to tell her that I love her and that the last eight years have been great.  Looking forward to the next eight years.

Oh, and 2006 was the last year the Padres went to the playoffs, but that's not really the point of this post.

11 comments:

  1. Congrats on the anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary!

    Sounds like you need to go back to that look if the Padres ain't doing anything with the beard and poundage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Marcus. Happy anniversary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Happy Anniversary!!! Love to you and Rachel!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary, Marcus. I hope you and your beautiful, blushing bride have many, many more.

    ReplyDelete