A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

The Hodgepodge

Alright, this is my last post before our family trip to San Diego.  I actually spent about an hour last week doing little short posts that I've scheduled to run each day of our the trip, so I'll actually be posting more frequently than usual, but they'll be little short posts, nothing long like this one here.

Seeing as how I'll be out of commission for a bit (I'll probably still keep up with reading the usual blogs, but not doing any writing), I figure I gotta get some recent stuff posted before I forget.  There is absolutely no theme to this post whatsoever, so forgive the jumping around.

Alright, first things first, I found this image on twitter from @AK47_studios.  They've done Star Wars related logos for all of the MLB teams.  I liked the Padres one the best, mostly because "sand" used to be one of the Padres colors, so "Sand People" would've been a good nickname for the team.  Plus SAN Diego and SANd work, and the camo background is a nice touch for a team that regularly pays tribute to the military on Sundays by wearing their camouflage uniforms.  Anyways, click the link, it's worth checking out.

I've definitely curbed my pack-buying activities as of late, but I happened to purchase consecutive packs of this year's Allen & Ginter and last year's Prizm sets.  Both yielded autographs, though I don't know if many would consider these real "hits".  I've tried my hand at selling some of my "higher end" cards on eBay, but I don't think these would go for very much.  If anybody has any Padres or want list stuff that is interested in these, lemme know.

Speaking of hits, here are some autos and relics that I've picked up in the past month or so.  All pretty cheap, some with combined shipping.  I'm trying not to overdo it with Kevin Kouzmanoff autos, since there are apparently dozens of cards out there, but just like a cheap Khalil Greene auto, sometimes they're too hard to pass up.  I'm always on the lookout for Andrew Cashner autos that are less than five bucks, even if he's with the Cubbies.  I'm the most stoked about the Tommy Medica auto and George Foster relic, my first "hit" cards of either of them.

Here are a pair of cards by the only players that I'm aware of who played in the majors who were named Casanova.  Raul was a Padres prospect who never made the team, but spent time with the Tigers, Brewers, Orioles, White Sox, Devil Rays, and Mets.  When I picked up this Paul Casanova card from a card shop in San Antonio, I did so hoping that Paul and Raul were a father and son combo, but Paul is Cuban and Raul is Puerto Rican, so no dice.  Normally not worth noting, however…

I happen to have a Spring Training-used jersey by Raul Casanova.  Gotta think there aren't many out there with this one, and it was pretty cheap (though my grandma bought it for me anyways).  Debating on wether or not I should wear this, my Kevin Kouzmanoff replica jersey, or my Tony Gwynn shirsey to the game against the Braves on Saturday.  Though, honestly, I'd really like to get my brothers to dress up in brown robes like friars with me.  Not sure there'll be enough time to coordinate that though, and I'm sure they wouldn't be as enthusiastic as I would be.

I'll finish with the Half Dome card from this year's Allen & Ginter set.  Yosemite National Park might not be the first thing that many think of when they think of California, but it's one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.  The view from the top of that rock is amazing, to say nothing of the rivers and lakes that you pass on the way to get there.

Here's the back.  Not sure if I'd be complimented if somebody named a rock after me because it looked like me, but I guess it'd depend on the rock.  

Well, in a few hours, we'll be on the road to San Diego.  We'll spend the night in the bustling town of Deming, New Mexico (population < 15,000), before pulling into my in-laws house on Friday night.  There really isn't much to see between here and there, with El Paso and Tucson being the biggest cities that we'll pass through.  Not looking forward to the drive, but it'll be worth it.

Take care, see you guys in a week and a half.

EDIT: Sweet Lord, the Padres DESTROYED the Cardinals last night 12-1!  My new favorite Padre, Yangervis Solarte went 4 for 5 with a couple of RBI, and Jesse Hahn, who should garner some Rookie of the Year votes, went 7 innings and gave up a run on 4 hits for the win.  Great win, though you know that nothing is going right for the Cardinals when Will Venable takes you deep and Yonder Alonso legs out a triple on you.

5 comments:

  1. Have fun on your trip!
    Anything with a Tusken Raider (sand person) would win a logo competition in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Let the Wookiee Win" does not seem to be the MLB's motto anymore. Have a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you have a great trip! You really should dress up like friars. That would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a safe trip to San Diego, Marcus. My receding hairline is catching up to that hole in the top of my head (it seems to get bigger every time I get my hair cut), that when I retire and move to San Diego, I WILL BE the Swinging Friar. I already have the robe...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You edited your post and didn't even mention you, your brothers, and your dad wore robes??? You really need to post a picture of the four of you.

    ReplyDelete