A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Good Old GWYNNsday


It's been a long time since I did a GWYNNsday post.  It was my first "recurring" theme on the blog (I'm not really sure that I've had any other "recurring" type posts), but today seems like a great day to get back to it!

All of these Gwynn cards came to me from Rod at the Padrographs blog.  This is technically the second of three posts about the stuff he sent.  Included in the large box he sent my way, there was a smaller box that was labeled "Gwynn & Bip Cards".  That was awesome to see.

Here are my top 10 favorite cards that I added to my Tony Gwynn binder, kind of in order.  Normally on countdown-type stuff, I like to have the official brand and year to go along with the card, but since it's late and I don't feel like digging up the Gwynn binder and tracking down these cards, I'll just give these a nickname.

 10 - "The Goatee"
This is actually a pretty cool card, in that a) it's Stadium Club, and b) the part of the card that says "CUTS" is actually clear, you can kind of see through it.  Of course, when I look at this card, all I see is Tony's goatee.  I'm not sure that I've seen any other cards that have him with facial hair besides a mustache.  I'll have to check that sometime.

#9 - "Contact" aka "Tony Gwynn Hates To Strike Out"
Almost all of my favorite baseball stats revolve around Tony and his ability to not get struck out.  Having a card that praises his ability to make contact, while mentioning that he struck out just 28 times in a season?  Love this.  Tony Gwynn HATED TO STRIKE OUT.

 #8 - "Skybox Glamour Shot"
Alright, so this whole "nickname" thing might not catch on here.  Don't really know what to call this one, but it has a good finish to it (didn't scan as well as it looks in hand) and the nameplate looks pretty classy.

#7 - "How Many Cards of Tony Gwynn Did Donruss Make In 1989?"
I almost discarded this one, thinking "Yeah, I've got Tony's '89 Donruss card, this goes into the dupes pile."  Fortunately, I thought, "I also like the photo for this one.  Let me just double check to make sure."  Well, turns out that this is the "Baseball's Best" card, not the base card.  Donruss also had an "MVP" card for Tony, as well as the "Diamond Kings" card.  I guess it doesn't seem like a lot by today's standards, but it seems like a lot for a brand from 1989.

#6 - "Legend"
Man, there's a lot to like about this one.  The black borders, brown uniform, and cool nameplate make this one pop off the page that it's in (in the Gwynn binder).  Topps can occasionally make a good insert card.  Would like to see them do it more often.

#5 - "3,000th Hit"
I've mentioned it before, but it bears mentioning again.  Tony got his 2,000th and 3,000th hit on August 6, which happens to be my birthday.  Though I didn't make the trip to Montreal to see his 3,000th, I was at Jack Murphy for his 2,000th hit.  This card commemorates his 3,000th hit milestone, and I love it.

#4 - "Gold Carbonite"
Alright, I'm not going to pretend like I'm some big "Star Wars" nerd or anything, but I loved the movie as a kid.  Haven't watched it in a while, my wife thinks Star Wars is weird.  I told her that she's the weird one, but she doesn't want to see it, and I don't care enough to make her sit through it.  Anyways, seeing Han put into carbonite freaked me out when I was a kid.  Seeing how Tony would look if he were covered in gold is a little freaky as well, but an interesting idea for a baseball card.

#3 - "Cartoon Tony"
Topps Kids was a pretty cool idea for a set.  I feel like the same concept wouldn't really fly nowadays, but I guess baseball cards don't have the same foothold that they did a few decades ago anyways.  Anyways, I wish that I'd shown the back of this card.  It's a good one.

#2 - "'69 Dude!"
This is obviously a faux-vintage card, an oddball from a baseball card pricing magazine.  Since the Padres entered the big leagues in 1969, I like the they chose to put Tony in the '69 Topps design.  Looks good.  Surprised that there was another card able to beat it out for the top spot.

#1 - "Ride Into The Sunset, Tony"
Alright, here's another "faux" vintage design, blatantly ripped off of the '71 Topps design by Upper Deck.  Love this shot, and it's been one that has eluded me for far too long.  If you need an explanation as to why this has the top spot, well, I don't know what to tell ya.

Whew!  Lots of Gwynn's there!  Love it!

Here's the last Gwynn I'll show in this post:

While not a "Tony Sr." card, Tony Gwynn Jr. is no slouch in my book.  We went to the same high school at the same time (but just barely - he was a senior, I was a freshman), and hey, if you're Tony Gwynn's kid, you're good in my book.

In case you haven't seen this, I'll go ahead and post it.  The Padres had a memorial service for Tony last week at Petco Park, and many from the Gwynn family were present.  Anthony Jr. wasn't there, as he was with his current team, the Phillies.  I think that his father would've understood.


Take care everyone, have a great GWYNNsday!

4 comments:

  1. I guess the ivy card at the top was the winner and the rest were 1-10 runner-ups? Make sense to me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree iwth you on the Topps Legends of the Game inserts. One of my favorites too. Happy GWYNNsday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to find a copy of that UD Vintage card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A couple things:
    1.) That is the best team checklist card of all-time!
    2.) I had no idea Tony got his milestone hits on the same day, which happens to be your b'day. Amazing factoid all-around!

    ReplyDelete