A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Er-stacks


What do you call a stack of Darin Erstad cards?  Er-stacks!

Alright, so, cheesy title aside, I got a bunch of new (well, to me) Darin Erstad cards from Tom over at Angels in Order.  Who better to get Erstad cards from than an Angels fan?

I needed eight out of the nine here, but included the other one so it'd be a full page of those horrible looking Angel-wing logos.  Maybe "horrible" is a little harsh, but I really liked the interlocking "CA" they had for a short time right before this one.  You know, back when they were still the CALIFORNIA Angels.

Fleer Ultra had a pretty good showing here, including two dandy horizontal cards.  I'm not sure if it's because Darin is always trying to make sure that he doesn't get too close to the border of the card, but he always seems a little hunched over in a lot of his cards.  I also like the bat that's about to succumb to gravity in the bottom corner.

Darin gettin' dirty!  This card looks great, but kind of reminds me of that scene in "Angels in the Outfield" when the fat catcher guy gets pushed by some angels and does, like, a 40 foot slide into third base.  Underrated film, that one.  Multiple Oscar winners in that cast.

Of all the Erstad's, this one was my favorite, and if I was to make a list, this might be one of my top 5 Erstad's.  One of The main reason I'm an Erstad fan is because I went to a game when he played for the Lake Elsinore Storm, and he hit a home run and I got his autograph afterwards.  Always followed him after that.  This is my first card of him in a Storm jersey (well, I think so, now I feel like I need to double check), and that is pretty cool.

With Tom's generous donation of Erstad's, that makes (at least by my unofficial count) 169 different cards.  I don't know if you'd say that Erstad  played in the middle of the overproduction era, but there were seemingly hundreds of different brands.  Typing in "Darin Erstad" into COMC.com gives you 930 different cards.  For this reason, I'm hesitant to add many more players to my PC.  I've got enough Gwynn's to chase to last a lifetime, and so Erstad is my one indulgence.  Most of the other guys I collect are pretty limited (Chris Denorfia and Andrew Cashner are still young, Archi Cianfrocco and Kevin Kouzmanoff weren't really that good, and for Andy Benes, Steve Finley, and Fred McGriff, I've limited the teams they played on - no teams after they left San Diego).

Anyways, yeah, that's a bunch of Erstad's.  Thanks Tom!

6 comments:

  1. I too have added a few of my non-Pirate favorite to the "official unofficial" player collection list. I've found it really fun to pick up cards of Charles Johnson or Mark McGwire, because they tend to appear in a lot of insert sets the Bucs never made it into.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The interlocking CA is my favorite Angel logo of all of them. Just a sharp look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always liked Darin Erstad. Mostly because he played at Nebraska (and is their current manager). He was also the starting punter on the 1994 National Championship team. But I always like people who play hard all the time and Erstad certainly qualified.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad there were some that you can use. The Storm card is one of my favs as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to watch Angels in the Outfield like a fiend back in the day. I pretty much popped it into the VCR on a rainy day or when I was bored during the summertime. I haven't watched it in forever, but now that you mention it, maybe it's time I go dig up the ol' VHS tape and give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Catching up on my blog feed. Trading Card Database has 2420 Erstads listed, for what it's worth. Hm, perhaps I can check one or two off the list. Doesn't look like your player collections link is coming up though.

    ReplyDelete